Bangladesh Secretariat debars visitors’ entry
Published: 06:37 PM, 23 January 2022 Updated: 09:40 PM, 23 January 2022
Bangladesh Secretariat has enforced ban on visitors’ entry for indefinite period, which will enforce from tomorrow, against the backdrop of quick spread of omicron, the new variant of COVID-19.
“The Cabinet Division has ordered the restriction to be enforced from January 24 until further order,” Principal Information Officer (PIO) Md Shahinoor Miah said adding a notification was expected to be issued shortly regarding the temporary ban.
It states that "Visitors have been barred from entering the Bangladesh Secretariat from tomorrow, January 24, until further notice."
Meanwhile, 14 people have died in the last 24 hours in the country. Besides, 10,906 new patients have been identified, the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) said in its routine daily statement today.
The official tally showed that the virus killed 28,223 people and infected 16,85,146 so far, the statement added.
At least 782 Covid-19 patients have recovered during the period.
The total number of recoveries now stands at 15,56,861 and the recovery rate at 92.39 percent.
Of the 14 deceased, six were male and eight female and they were aged between 31-90 years old, added the release.
Earlier, 9,614 Covid-19 cases and 17 deaths were reported in the previous day.
From the beginning of the pandemic, 1.68 percent died, the DGHS statistics showed.
Bangladesh first reported Covid-19 cases on March 8, 2020, and the first death from the deadly virus on March 18, ten days later from the detection of coronavirus cases in the country.