About 20% COVID patients infected with Omicron
Published: 02:21 PM, 18 January 2022 Updated: 05:37 PM, 18 January 2022
About 20 percent of the coronavirus patients in Bangladesh now have been infected with the omicron variant. The remaining 80 percent of patients are infected with the highly contagious Delta or other variants.
Vice-chancellor of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) and chief patron (supervisor) of the Genome Sequencing Research Project, Prof Dr Md Sharfuddin Ahmed came up with the information at a press conference at the Martyr Dr Milton Hall of BSMMU on Tuesday while disclosing findings of COVID-19 genome sequencing.
He said that 20 percent of the samples, which were collected from December 8, 2021 to January 8, 2022, were diagnosed with Omicron variants and 80 percent with Delta variants. The cases of Omicron variant are feared to increase exponentially next month.
Dr. Md. Sharfuddin Ahmed said the current study was conducted on coronavirus patients across the country from June 29 last year to January 8 this year. Sampling has been collected by the representatives of all the departments in the country. The study included all ages of patients, from 9-month-olds to 90-year-olds. The highest number of patients aged between 21 to 58 years.
A total of 769 Covid-19 patients underwent coronavirus genome sequencing by next-generation sequencing from neopharyngeal swab samples, he added.
The study found that coronavirus patients, who have been suffering from cancer, respiratory diseases, heart disease and diabetes had the highest mortality rates. In addition, 100 percent of the patients admitted in the hospitals with symptoms are infected with the Delta variant.
Dr. Md. Sharfuddin Ahmed said that the purpose of the genome sequencing research of COVID-19 is to uncover the character of the genome of the coronavirus, the type of mutation and its interaction with the genome of the global Covid-19 and to create a Bangladeshi COVID-19 genome database.
At the press conference, the chief researcher Dr Laila Anjuman Banu and other members of the research team were present.