Hospital leaves dying twins for ‘money’, one dies on way...

Dhaka, Thursday   27 January 2022

Beximco LPG Gas

Hospital leaves dying twins for ‘money’, one dies on way

 Staff Correspondent

 Published: 12:31 PM, 7 January 2022   Updated: 12:37 PM, 7 January 2022

Sick child in mothers lap

Sick child in mothers lap

Two twin-children have died on the way after a hospital forced their mother out of the hospital after not getting money in the capital. The names of the two brothers are Abdullah and Ahmed.

It was alleged that the twins, who were undergoing treatment in the P-ICU of a private hospital in the capital's Shyamoli, were returned to their mother. A child fell to his death while on the way to Dhaka Medical College. The condition of the surviving child is also alarming. The children's mother has blamed 'Amar Bangladesh' hospital for the children's death.

Two children were discharged from 'Amar Bangladesh' hospital in the capital on Thursday afternoon. The body of one of the twin children was in the ambulance while the mother was trying to save another. The environment of the pediatric department of Dhaka Medical was heavy with her screams. 

Ayesha Begum, the mother of the two children, claimed that she was victimized by the ambulance driver who directed her for the sake of brokery for his own interest.

Ayesha Begum said two six-month-old babies were admitted to Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College on December 31 due to cold. Last Sunday they were told that the children would have to be taken to NICU. Then she decided to take her children to a hospital in Savar as there were no seats available. At that time, an ambulance driver (broker) advised them to admit them to a nearby hospital. The ambulance driver said that the cost is less like the government hospital.

She admitted her children to 'Amar Bangladesh Hospital' in Shyamoli then. Then in six days the medical bill of two children came to TK 1,26,000. In the meantime, the mother of the two children claimed that she had paid tK 50,500 in several stages.

Ayesha Begum said, I have paid Tk 50 thousand. Unable to pay the rest, I requested them and grabbed their hands and feet but to no avail. At around 3 pm on Thursday, the hospital authorities forced me out with my child. Then I was sent to DMC (Dhaka Medical College) Hospital along with a young man named Shahin with two children. Ahmed died in the ambulance on the way to Dhaka Medical College.

Dhaka Medical College Hospital doctor Manobendro Ghosh said, 'We have found the child in critical condition and we have started all the possible treatment by admitting him here.'

An accused employee of the hospital in the incident, Bacchu Mia, has been arrested, said Dhaka Medical College Hospital police camp in-charge. 'We kept him in a police camp for questioning,' he said.

On the other hand, denying the whole incident, the director and doctors of Amar Bangladesh Hospital have put the opposite responsibility on the family of the twin child.

Amar Bangladesh Hospital Medical Officer Shahani Iqbal said, 'We first tried to measure the child's fever.' But at first they refused to give patients any test. They weren't actually forced out, and I don't know about the payment.

Amar Bangladesh Hospital Director Shoaib Khan said to check the documents, Receipt of money, the bills against the allegation.

The children's relatives have demanded action against the hospital through investigation.