Sagira Morshed murder: Next testimony Mar 3...

Sagira Morshed murder: Next testimony Mar 3

 Staff Correspondent

 Published: 05:18 PM, 27 January 2022  

Sagira Morshed; File Photo

Sagira Morshed; File Photo

A Dhaka court today fixed March 3 for recording the next testimony in a case filed over the sensational murder of housewife Sagira Morshed in the capital’s Siddheswari area. 

The court of Abu Jafar Md Kamruzzaman, judge of the Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal-1, on Thursday set the new date.

The day was set for the testimony of the case. However, the lawyer of the accused pleaded for time to testify. The court fixed a new date for the petition.

The accused in this case are – Deceased Dr. Sagira Morshed’s brother-in-law Dr. Hasan Ali Chowdhury, his wife Sayedatul Mahmuda alias Shaheen, Hasan Ali’s brother-in-law Anas Mahmud alias Rezwan and mercenary Maruf Reza.

Earlier on December 2, 2020, Dhaka Metropolitan Sessions Judge KM Imrul Qayesh framed charges against four persons including the elder brother of Sagira Morshed’s husband. The court indicted Sagira’s brother-in-law Dr. Hasan Ali Chowdhury, his wife Sayedatul Mahmuda, Mahmuda’s brother Anas Mahmud alias Rezwan and contract killer Maruf Reza. 

Earlier on March 9, 2020, the court accepted a chargesheet against four accused, filed by investigation officer and Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) inspector Rafikul Islam on January 16. The IO filed a 1,309-page chargesheet, accusing the four for the murder.

On July 25, 1989, 34-year-old Sagira Morshed was gunned down by unidentified muggers in front of Viqarunnisa Noon School and College in the capital’s Bailey Road. 

Sagira’s husband Abdus Salam Chowdhury filed the case on that day with Ramna Police Station against unidentified miscreants. A rickshaw puller present at the crime scene identified two of the killers, but police had filed the initial charge sheet against Montu.

Dhaka First Additional Sessions Judge Abu Bakar Siddique on January 17, 1991, framed charges against Montu and testimonies of seven witnesses were also recorded.

But during the hearing, the prosecution alleged the name of Maruf Reza, close relative of then home minister Mahmudul Hasan, came up during the investigation and was also arrested. But his name was dropped from the charge sheet. 

Following a plea of the prosecution, the court on May 23, 1991, ordered for further investigation. But the proceeding of the case was stayed by the High Court as Maruf Reza filed a petition, challenging the further investigation order.

But the High Court on June 26, 2019, cleared the way for continuing the murder case as it dismissed the rule that had stayed the trial proceedings.

A High Court division bench comprising Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman passed the order, asking PBI to conduct further investigation in the case and complete it within 60-working days. 

PBI after that arrested the four and they have already confessed their role in the killing of Sagira.