EU court dubs Uber a transport service
Published: 06:52 PM, 20 December 2017
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Ride-hailing app Uber provides a transport service and can be regulated like traditional taxis, the European Union’s top court said on Wednesday in a landmark ruling that will determine the rules Uber and its rivals have to respect in Europe.
“The service provided by Uber connecting individuals with non-professional drivers is covered by services in the field of transport,” the European Court of Justice (ECJ) said.
“Member states can, therefore, regulate the conditions for providing that service,” it said.
Uber - which has clashed with local and national regulators in Europe since its launch there six years ago - had argued it was simply a digital app that acted as an intermediary between drivers and customers looking for a ride and so ought to fall under lighter EU rules for online services.
The case follows a complaint from a professional taxi drivers’ association in Barcelona that Uber’s activities in Spain amounted to misleading practices and unfair competition from Uber’s use of non-professional drivers - a service Uber calls UberPOP.
The ECJ said Uber “exercises decisive influence over the conditions under which the drivers provide their service” and that without the Uber mobile app “persons who wish to make an urban journey would not use the services provided by those drivers.”
The ruling is not likely to have an immediate impact on Uber’s operations in Europe, where it already operates under local transportation laws and has cut back its use of unlicensed services such as UberPOP.
“This ruling will not change things in most EU countries where we already operate under transportation law,” an Uber spokeswoman said in a statement.
“As our new CEO has said, it is appropriate to regulate services such as Uber and so we will continue the dialogue with cities across Europe. This is the approach we’ll take to ensure everyone can get a reliable ride at the tap of a button.”
The Silicon Valley giant is in the middle of a legal battle over its right to operate in London, its most important European market.
- No exam till class-III
- 4yrs minor girl raped by ‘uncle’
- Biz ldrs oppose Govt’s gas price hike plan
- US-Bangla starts Chennai flights from March 31
- Ershad’s 90th Birthday celebrated
- 1,221 recommended for cadre posts
- Indian investors interested to energy sec
- HC bans making film, drama on Jaha Alam
- BIWTA thrashes 185 illegal structures
- 9th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Students call off movement till March 28
- India beat Bangladesh to raced into SAFF final
- Doctor jailed using own sperm fertilizing more than 50 women
- Farhad, Saif powers Doleshwar to easy victory
- Ducsu AGS with student movement
- Suprobhat Paribahan driver put on 7-day remand
- Ardern calls for global anti-racism fight
- Arrest warrant issued against Khaleda in another case
- Fake notes of Tk 8 lakh seized: 4 held
- Not full adults until 30s: Sci
- Super worm moon to rise tmrw
- 4 to die for killing sibling farmers in M’singh
- Holi festival tomorrow
- Destitution of Kutubdia Health Complex
- HC for Tk 10 lakh comp to Abrar’s family
- Quader’s bypass surgery successful
- 15 to die for killing cloth trader in Doha
- No poverty in future: PM
- Three years departure of Diti
- Now schoolgirl lost leg in Jashore road crash
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Dhaka-Kolkata Ship service starts March 29
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- BCB has no problem with Shakib`s IPL participation
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- PM invites newly elected Ducsu leaders
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Dutch-Bangla service to be closed for 5 days
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- VP Noor urges Rokeya’s Provost to resign
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Tigers left New Zealand
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered