EU court dubs Uber a transport service
Published: 06:52 PM, 20 December 2017 Updated: 05:07 PM, 10 October 2019
EU court dubs Uber a transport service
Ride-hailing app Uber provides a transport service and can be regulated like traditional taxis, the European Union’s top court said on Wednesday in a landmark ruling that will determine the rules Uber and its rivals have to respect in Europe.
“The service provided by Uber connecting individuals with non-professional drivers is covered by services in the field of transport,” the European Court of Justice (ECJ) said.
“Member states can, therefore, regulate the conditions for providing that service,” it said.
Uber - which has clashed with local and national regulators in Europe since its launch there six years ago - had argued it was simply a digital app that acted as an intermediary between drivers and customers looking for a ride and so ought to fall under lighter EU rules for online services.
The case follows a complaint from a professional taxi drivers’ association in Barcelona that Uber’s activities in Spain amounted to misleading practices and unfair competition from Uber’s use of non-professional drivers - a service Uber calls UberPOP.
The ECJ said Uber “exercises decisive influence over the conditions under which the drivers provide their service” and that without the Uber mobile app “persons who wish to make an urban journey would not use the services provided by those drivers.”
The ruling is not likely to have an immediate impact on Uber’s operations in Europe, where it already operates under local transportation laws and has cut back its use of unlicensed services such as UberPOP.
“This ruling will not change things in most EU countries where we already operate under transportation law,” an Uber spokeswoman said in a statement.
“As our new CEO has said, it is appropriate to regulate services such as Uber and so we will continue the dialogue with cities across Europe. This is the approach we’ll take to ensure everyone can get a reliable ride at the tap of a button.”
The Silicon Valley giant is in the middle of a legal battle over its right to operate in London, its most important European market.
- Bank will be open for 2hrs from Sunday
- UNO stands by poor with food-money
- Shah Rukh returning to silver screen with Alia
- BCB announces Tk 30,000 for each non-contracted DPL players
- Finnish citizen becomes senseless falling from rickshaw in Sylhet
- Coronavirus cases in US increasing rapidly
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 5 Bangladeshis test coronavirus positive in Germany
- HSC candidate under isolation in Madaripur
- Traffic police closed over misconduct with rickshaw puller
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- Be professional: IGP to police
- Global coronavirus deaths top 28500
- Deer roaming on empty streets
- DMP to distribute food 2,500 destitute people daily
- Youth died at isolation not affected by coronavirus
- Adviser spotted running away after Boris’s coronavirus diagnosis
- NU postpones all exams
- WHO testing coronavirus drugs
- Ban on all flights extended till Apr 7
- Natore hat sees huge crowd amid coronavirus epidemic
- 24 Bangladeshis died of coronavirus globally
- Gazipur plastic factory fire doused
- IEDCR states rules of using PPE
- WASA-City Corporations disinfecting Dhaka jointly
- I’m sorry, some people will die: Brazil’s President
- Healthy Mint Lassi to ease heat
- People coming out to know what’s lockdown?
- 301 new overseas-returnees home-quarantined in Khulna
- 4 traders fined over price hiking
- All News »
- 40 more building under ‘lockdown’ in Mirpur
- Coronavirus: 147 new deaths reported in a hour, infected 3,45,289 (update list)
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 13,000
- Corona death surging to 19000
- Coronavirus: Deaths 11,402; cases 276,125 (Update List)
- Hantavirus: All you need to know
- Coronarvirus infection climbed to .38 million globally (update list)
- Former Real president dies from coronavirus
- WHO suggests Bangladesh to declare lockdown
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Doctor who spread rumors over corona detained
- All govt-private institutions closed until April 4
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- Corona claims two in Bangladesh; 24 infected
- Japan claims to develop COVID-19 vaccine
- One more dies of coronavirus in Bangladesh
- 100 new ICUs being opened
- Coronavirus affected nurse kills herself ‘to protect others’
- Italy records 793 deaths in a day
- Actress` elope with director
- Shwapna Bhowmick developed 4 lakh PPE for doctors-nurses
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Gopalganj road crashes kill 2 motorcyclists, injure 26
- Coronavirus: Mirpur`s building under lockdown
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 5 in country
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- North Korea fires two ballistic missiles
- Nationwide shops declared shut till Mar 31
- Remedy for coronavirus found!