Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya...

Dhaka, Tuesday   14 July 2020

Beximco LPG Gas

Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya

 International Desk daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 09:25 PM, 30 May 2020   Updated: 10:39 AM, 31 May 2020

killed Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya

killed Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya

The bodies of 26 Bangladeshis who killed by human traffickers in Libya's city Mizda on Thursday will be buried in the city, said an official of Bangladesh embassy in Tripoli. 

Ashraful Islam, the embassy's labour counsellor, told BBC on Saturday that the process of burying the bodies in the town of Mizda is underway in consultation with the families of the victims.

He said, "The Mizda city is very small and underdeveloped, there is no suitable system to store the bodies. As a result, we have no choice but to bury the bodies there. So we have to accept it." The bodies have been kept currently in a hospital in Mizda, Ashraful Islam said.

The communication system is very poor of Mizda with the capital, Tripoli, as it is a war-torn area and beyond the control of the UN-backed government in Libya. He said it was not possible to bring the bodies from the city of Mizda as all international flights were closed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

He said, "For all these reasons, we do not see any opportunity to hand over the bodies to families in Bangladesh. So we decided to bury the bodies after talking to their families."

Ashraful Islam hopes that the process of burying the bodies can start from today.

At least 26 Bangladeshi citizens were killed and 11 others injured in a gun attack reportedly by some human traffickers in Libya on Thursday.

They were all trying to cross the Mediterranean sea for Italy illegally via Libya. The immigrants had been in hiding for months after arriving illegally at the Libyan port of Benghazi.

The migrants had been crossing the desert from Benghazi in search of work when they were taken hostage by an armed group near Mizda 15 days ago, the Bangladesh ministry cited the survivor as saying on Friday.

"They tortured them inhumanely for a ransom. At some point in their ordeal, the captives killed the main kidnapper. In retaliation, the militia fired indiscriminately at them," Bangladesh's foreign ministry added in a statement.

On Thursday, Libya's internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) said it had issued arrest warrants for suspects in the killing of 26 Bangladeshi and four African migrants. Another 11 migrants survived the shooting and are in hospital in Mizda, a desert town 160 km (100 miles) south of Tripoli where the killings took place.

DailyBangladesh/SA/AN