Awami League threatens to take legal action for legal notice
Published: 08:45 PM, 20 December 2017 Updated: 09:41 PM, 3 January 2018
Ruling Awami League on Wednesday threatened to go for legal action if the legal notice sent by Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson Khaleda Zia to prime minister Sheikh Hasina is not withdrawn.
The threat came from a press conference held at the election conducting office of the ruling party at Dhanmondi in Dhaka.
AL presidium member and agriculture minister Matia Chowdhury and AL publicity and publication secretary Hasan Mahmud addressed the press conference.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia had sent a legal notice to prime minister Sheikh Hasina demanding an apology for making ‘malicious and defamatory’ remarks about her reported assets abroad.
On behalf of the BNP chief, her counsel and BNP joint secretary general barrister Mahbubuddin Khokon sent the notice by post on Tuesday.
Matia Chowdhury said their party will face the matter legally as Khaleda Zia sent a legal notice.
She also said AL never publicises anything without having proof. “Awami League never speaks about baseless matter.”
Hasan Mahmud said Khaleda sent the legal notice at a time when the corruption issue of herself and her family members are hitting headlines both at home and abroad. “This is just to divert the matter,” he said.
Hasan Mahmud told the press conference that there are allegations Khaleda and her family members siphoned off USD 12 billion to 12 countries.
Accusing Khaleda of whitening black money, he urged her to apologise to people for corruption and siphoning off money.
Responding to a query, Hasan Mahmud said AL has evidence about the investment by Khaleda and her family members in some Middle Eastern countries. “Various online media have run stories about that,” he added.
About Khaleda’s legal notice, Hasan Mahmud said they did not get it yet. They came to know about it from media reports.
- ADB to provide US$ 540m for human resource development
- Bijoy Mela begins in Ctg
- Premier Div Chess: Saif SC, Police share top slot
- Both Challengers, Thunder upbeat to start BPL with victory
- Brazilian president hails launching of Sino-Brazilian satellite
- 18th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Turkey says ready to send troops to back Libya unity govt
- What should be said while entering house
- No room for anti-liberation forces in AL: Quader
- HC summons Sakhipur UNO, OC
- Int’l badminton tournament dedicating to Bangabandhu begins
- Two children drown in Kurigram
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- ECNEC okays 7 projects
- BBPL will miss Shakib: Russell
- Kamal urges all to engage more in tax, VAT payment
- 1mn more jobs in ICT sector within 5 yrs: Palak
- Enjoy BPL in 10 countries apart from Bangladesh
- NASA chief gets latest look at new moon rocket
- Miraz braces for two challenges in BBPL
- RAB detained 5 brokers from hospital
- The old man died of heart attack during buy onions
- Qatar`s Emir Sheikh Tamim skips Gulf summit in Saudi Arabia
- Suu Kyi sat frozen in ICJ
- Prisoner militants need deradicalization: IGP
- Myanmar must stop Rohingyas genocide: Gambia
- Recruitment notices on Shah & Associates
- GDP growth reaches 8.15pc
- ICJ hearing: Rohingya vs Suu Kyi supporters UN-court showdown
- Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies, aged 61
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- E-passport within 3 days!
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Storm over new black hole issue
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today