Awami League threatens to take legal action for legal notice
Published: 08:45 PM, 20 December 2017 Updated: 09:41 PM, 3 January 2018
Ruling Awami League on Wednesday threatened to go for legal action if the legal notice sent by Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson Khaleda Zia to prime minister Sheikh Hasina is not withdrawn.
The threat came from a press conference held at the election conducting office of the ruling party at Dhanmondi in Dhaka.
AL presidium member and agriculture minister Matia Chowdhury and AL publicity and publication secretary Hasan Mahmud addressed the press conference.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia had sent a legal notice to prime minister Sheikh Hasina demanding an apology for making ‘malicious and defamatory’ remarks about her reported assets abroad.
On behalf of the BNP chief, her counsel and BNP joint secretary general barrister Mahbubuddin Khokon sent the notice by post on Tuesday.
Matia Chowdhury said their party will face the matter legally as Khaleda Zia sent a legal notice.
She also said AL never publicises anything without having proof. “Awami League never speaks about baseless matter.”
Hasan Mahmud said Khaleda sent the legal notice at a time when the corruption issue of herself and her family members are hitting headlines both at home and abroad. “This is just to divert the matter,” he said.
Hasan Mahmud told the press conference that there are allegations Khaleda and her family members siphoned off USD 12 billion to 12 countries.
Accusing Khaleda of whitening black money, he urged her to apologise to people for corruption and siphoning off money.
Responding to a query, Hasan Mahmud said AL has evidence about the investment by Khaleda and her family members in some Middle Eastern countries. “Various online media have run stories about that,” he added.
About Khaleda’s legal notice, Hasan Mahmud said they did not get it yet. They came to know about it from media reports.
- Bank will be open for 2hrs from Sunday
- UNO stands by poor with food-money
- Shah Rukh returning to silver screen with Alia
- BCB announces Tk 30,000 for each non-contracted DPL players
- Finnish citizen becomes senseless falling from rickshaw in Sylhet
- Coronavirus cases in US increasing rapidly
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 5 Bangladeshis test coronavirus positive in Germany
- HSC candidate under isolation in Madaripur
- Traffic police closed over misconduct with rickshaw puller
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- Be professional: IGP to police
- Global coronavirus deaths top 28500
- Deer roaming on empty streets
- DMP to distribute food 2,500 destitute people daily
- Youth died at isolation not affected by coronavirus
- Adviser spotted running away after Boris’s coronavirus diagnosis
- NU postpones all exams
- WHO testing coronavirus drugs
- Ban on all flights extended till Apr 7
- Natore hat sees huge crowd amid coronavirus epidemic
- 24 Bangladeshis died of coronavirus globally
- Gazipur plastic factory fire doused
- IEDCR states rules of using PPE
- WASA-City Corporations disinfecting Dhaka jointly
- I’m sorry, some people will die: Brazil’s President
- Healthy Mint Lassi to ease heat
- People coming out to know what’s lockdown?
- 301 new overseas-returnees home-quarantined in Khulna
- 4 traders fined over price hiking
- All News »
- 40 more building under ‘lockdown’ in Mirpur
- Coronavirus: 147 new deaths reported in a hour, infected 3,45,289 (update list)
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 13,000
- Corona death surging to 19000
- Coronavirus: Deaths 11,402; cases 276,125 (Update List)
- Hantavirus: All you need to know
- Coronarvirus infection climbed to .38 million globally (update list)
- Former Real president dies from coronavirus
- WHO suggests Bangladesh to declare lockdown
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Doctor who spread rumors over corona detained
- All govt-private institutions closed until April 4
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- Corona claims two in Bangladesh; 24 infected
- Japan claims to develop COVID-19 vaccine
- One more dies of coronavirus in Bangladesh
- 100 new ICUs being opened
- Coronavirus affected nurse kills herself ‘to protect others’
- Italy records 793 deaths in a day
- Actress` elope with director
- Shwapna Bhowmick developed 4 lakh PPE for doctors-nurses
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Gopalganj road crashes kill 2 motorcyclists, injure 26
- Coronavirus: Mirpur`s building under lockdown
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 5 in country
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- North Korea fires two ballistic missiles
- Nationwide shops declared shut till Mar 31
- Remedy for coronavirus found!