YouTube suspends comments on videos of kids
Published: 11:43 AM, 1 March 2019
YouTube said on Thursday that it will turn off comments on nearly all videos featuring kids that potentially affect millions of posts on the site after reports last week that pedophiles were leaving inappropriate comments on innocuous videos of children.
The change comes as YouTube grapples with moderating content across its platform as concerns about hate speech, violence and conspiracy theories continue to plague it.
It will take YouTube several months to disable comments on all videos featuring minors, the company said. It already started the process last week when it turned off comments from tens of millions of videos.
Advertisers including Nestle, AT&T, and Fortnite-maker Epic Games pulled ads from YouTube last week after the inappropriate comments about children were unearthed by a popular YouTuber and media reports. At least one company, Nestle, was satisfied with YouTube's response and reinstated ads late last week.
A small number of channels which have videos featuring kids will be allowed to keep comments turned on. But they must be known to YouTube and must actively monitor the comments beyond the standard monitoring tools YouTube provides.
Turning off comments on such a large number of videos seems an “extreme reaction,” said eMarketer analyst Paul Verna. But the issue involves the safety of children, so it makes sense YouTube would want to act quickly, he said.
“Comments aren’t the main focus of the video-publishing site, but turning them off will likely diminish the experience for many users and video creators,” he said.
YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki acknowledged the concerns Thursday, tweeting, “Nothing is more important to us than ensuring the safety of young people on the platform.”
The company said it has also released an updated version of its automated moderating system that it expects will identify and delete two times as many inappropriate comments.
YouTube, like Facebook, Twitter and other sites that allow user publishing, has faced increasing calls to monitor what appears on their sites and get rid of unsuitable content. The companies all say they have taken action to protect users. But issues keep popping up.
“Concerns about YouTube comments weren’t even a top priority for advertisers and viewers a couple of weeks ago,” Verna said.
“It just makes you wonder, what’s the next thing that going to happen?”
- 71 more coronavirus deaths reported n China
- Holy Shab-e-Meraj on March 22
- Rain with squally wind likely
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- Delhi battleground again, 5 killed
- Zimbabwe at innings loss risk
- Drug lord held with heroin
- Trawler capsized in Inani beach, missing 2
- Three Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Today’s sports on TV
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Coronavirus hits more Middle East countries
- Trump announces defence deal with India
- Papiya placed on 15-day remand
- Police becomes barrier to treatment of Rickshaw puller’s mother
- Holy Shab-e-Meraj on Mar 22
- Trump visits Taj Mahal
- Young girl crushed under train in Lalmonirhat
- Yunusur Rahman made DSE chairman
- Mahathir becomes interim PM
- Trump forgets Gandhi at Gandhi’s Ashram
- PM urges Japan to investment in power sector
- No one will escape committing crime: Quader
- 12 Jailed for carrying marijuana in Jamalpur
- India seal comfortable victory over Bangladesh
- Rapist detained after 18 yrs of rape
- RU also denies joining uniform admission test
- President urges BGB to stay alert at borders
- Hearing with using video conference at Information Commission
- Motorcyclist killed in Jhalakati road crash
- All News »
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Coronavirus reaches Iran: report
- 15 new coronavirus cases in S Korea, bringing total to 46
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!