“Yaba Don” Saiful among 2 killed in gunfights
Published: 10:38 AM, 31 May 2019 Updated: 11:41 AM, 31 May 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
Two people, including top Yaba smuggler Saiful Karim, were killed in separate gunfights with police and members of Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) in Teknaf Upazila of Cox's Bazar early Friday.
Saiful Karim, mostly known by his initials “SK” among Yaba smugglers and dealers across the country, was the son of Dr. Hanif of Shibaniapara under Teknaf Sadar UP. The identity of the remaining one could not be known yet.
Teknaf Model Police Station OC Pradip Kumar Das said that Saiful Karim was arrested a few days ago. In the interrogation, he said that a large shipment of Yaba from Myanmar has been stocked on the Naf river bank.
After gleaning information from him, a team of police conducted a drive there.
Sensing presence of the law enforcers, Saiful’s associates opened fire on them, forcing them to fire back, triggering the gunfight.
Saiful was caught in the line of fire when he tried to flee from police, he added.
One lakh pieces of Yaba tablets, nine LG, 42 rounds of cartridges and 33 round bullet-shells were also recovered from the spot.
Commanding officer of BGB-2 Lieutenant Colonel Foysal Hasan Khan, said that tipped off that a big consignment of Yaba is entering the country from Myanmar, a team of BGB-2 conducted a drive along Naf River and challenged a boat carrying some people.
Sensing danger, the drug peddlers opened fire on the BGB men, forcing them to fire back in self-defense that triggered a gunfight, he said.
After the gunfight, the BGB members recovered the body of an unidentified man and sent it to Sadar Hospital morgue for autopsy.
A sharp weapon and 10,000 pieces of Yaba tablets were recovered from the spot.
- Mithun, Mushfiqur star as Bangladesh win warm-up
- Quader orders to repair flood-hit roads before Eid
- Blackout forced 4m Venezuelan to leave country
- Renu`s brother heartbreaking status
- Boris Johnson to be next UK PM
- Chairmanship odds in JP: Rowshan`s ambiguous state
- Bribery scam: Ex-ACC Director Basir sent to jail
- New research unveils real cause of heart attack
- Four killed in Narayanganj’s 4 Upazilas
- ‘Stern action if killing people over child lifting rumor’
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Sergeant Kibria’s father files writ seeking compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- Habits that extremely harmful for liver
- Rain likely to increase, temperature may fall
- Advance train tickets to be sold at 5 spots
- Fire breaks out at CMCH Psychiatry department
- 25 schoolgirls fall sick from laughing too much
- ‘Lion King’ roars as surpassing ‘Avengers’ record
- Ronaldo will not face rape charges
- Critical security flaw found in VLC Player
- Two robbers killed in Sundarbans gunfight
- Large-scale government data hacks in Russia, Bulgaria
- Mehazabien with new story
- Shinzo Abe wins Japan’s upper house poll
- National Public Service Day-2019 today
- Renu lynched in Badda: 2 more held
- Drug peddler killed in Meherpur gunfight
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- How to get HSC result
- Minni sent to jail
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Humanity for animal !
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case