World`s oldest person dies in Japan at 117
Published: 02:16 PM, 22 April 2018
World`s oldest person, Nabi Tajima, a 117-year-old Japanese woman, has died in Japan, a local official told AFP Sunday.
According to Susumu Yoshiyuki, a health and welfare official, Nabi Tajima died of old age on Saturday evening in a hospital on her native Kikai Island in Kagoshima region in southern Japan. She had been hospitalised since January.
Nabi Tajima, who was born August 4, 1900, became the oldest woman in Japan in September 2015, could have been the oldest person in the world since Violet Brown of Jamaica died in September 2017 at age 117, Japanese media said.
Since Brown`s death, Guinness World Records has been investigating who is the oldest person in the world and was yet to recognize Tajima as such.
The oldest man in the world is 112-year-old Masazo Nonaka of Japan, the organization announced on April 10.
"Tajima was living at a nursing centre for the elderly. In January, she became weaker, so she was taken to a local hospital," Yoshiyuki told AFP.
"She died there (Saturday) due to her advanced age," he said.
Japan is known for the longevity of its people and has been home to several oldest title holders.
There are around 68,000 people aged 100 or older in the country, the government said last year.
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Afghanistan all out for 125
- China’s largest ever Picasso exhibition opens
- Rapist kept in jail as he refused to marry victim
- Wellbeing: 2 Hours of Nature a Week
- Heavy metals result of supernova explosion
- ‘I am working in life risk to fulfill Bangabandhu’s dream’
- Two Unique Mosques in Indonesia have a breathtaking Architect
- India-Pakistan World Cup statistics!
- Australia post 334 against Sri Lanka
- Air Chief left for France
- 14 post-election murder in India’s west Bengal
- Proposed budget is business-friendly: FBCCI
- Schoolboy killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Mushfiq injured in practice
- South Africa opt to bowl against Afghanistan
- SC ends 21 days shut tomorrow
- Tk 80,190 cr proposed for children in next FY
- Trump official pressed NASA on climate science
- `Govt takes step to prevent river erosion, water logging`
- DMP collected data of 6.2m people in Dhaka
- Stay updated with knowledge, training: PM to SSF PRSNL
- 298 killed in 256 accidents during Eid
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- BSF DG terms border killings as ‘unfortunate deaths’
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Light to moderate rain likely
- 36 people dead in India`s longest heatwaves
- US Baby cut out of murdered mother’s womb dies
- 3 BNP men including Fakhrul injured as stage broke at wedding
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Health checkup for Hajj pilgrims begins on June 16
- England turn around in World Cup
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Holy Eid al-Adha on Aug 12!
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Class XI admission results published
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BJP-TMC clash killed 4 killed in India`s West Bengal
- JS budget session begins today
- BNP’s Rumeen Farhana takes oath
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Uday Hakim joins risingbd as Advisory Editor
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament