World’s Biggest Military Spender is US, India in South Asia
Published: 11:16 AM, 7 January 2018 Updated: 12:58 PM, 7 January 2018
The United States is at the top of the military budget in the world; India in South Asia. The latest data from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute shows that China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and India are ahead in terms of military budget.
While there is no one around the United States military budget as a single country, there is an interesting fact that considering the population and calculate the part of the military budget in the country`s total budget, the United States is much behind than Israel and Saudi Arabia.
According to the Peace Research Institute, in 2016, the expenditure of military spending was 1.69 trillion US dollars. Of these, the United States alone spent 611 billion US dollars, which was 1.7 percent higher than in 2015. The US military budget was highest in 2010. In that comparison, the budget of 2016 was less than 20 percent.
China is ahead of all in terms of military budget. This country is the world`s second-largest military budget who is increased their budget by 118 percent. According to the Peace Research Institute, they spent 215 billion US dollars, which is almost four times more than its neighboring country India. India has spent 56 billion dollars in the military sector, and it is the fifth position in the world.
Russia is the world`s third-largest military budget globally. In 2016, the country spent 69 billion dollars in their military sector.
And the highest military budget among the Middle East countries is Saudi Arabia. They are in the fourth position in the military budget and they spent 63 billion US dollars in 2016. The country has constantly increased military spending since 2002. But compared to 2015, their military budget was approximately 30 percent lower than in 2016.
France is in number one position in terms of military spending in Europe and in the sixth position in the world. They spent 55 billion US dollars in 2016. France`s neighboring country, United Kingdom, and Germany are in seventh and eighth position. After exiting the European Union, the country`s actual military expenditure has reduced due to the depreciation of pounds.
On the other hand, in 2016, 2.9 percent of military expenditure has increased in Germany who is in top position in the economy in Europe. According to the report, this was done by Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Japan and South Korea are among the top ten in Southeast Asia. The military expenditure is increasing in this region which increased the ongoing tensions between North Korea, South Korea, China, and Japan.
The data say that in 2016, more than 0.4 percent is spending on military expenditure than 2015 globally. In 2016, 2.2 percent of the total global production was spent in the military sector, which is equal to 227 US dollars per person. Due to war, security threats, oil prices and the difference in revenue and expenditure, the military budget is more or less expensive.
- Rains lash India`s northern states, kills 30
- Cabinet’s meeting after 7wks
- ‘Allahar Dal’s ameer among 4 ‘militants’ held
- Major General dismissed for sexual harassment
- Massive cyberattack; List of affected websites
- Issues that will be discussed during Jayashankar’s visit
- Gibraltar rejects US request
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Marium, a lovely animal dies after eating plastic
- New Indonesian capital to be in Jungle?
- How to cook meat faster
- Tourists unhappy over Teknaf`s odor-pollution
- Fatima: The Wonder Lady!
- Rail links with Khulna snapped
- Maududist modern era devil: Agriculture Minister
- ‘Blood Bank of Kaliganj’ saved thousand lives
- ‘Mayaboti’ release date scheduled
- Dressing room rift misinterpreted in media: Mahmudullah
- Humayun for all-side interest on rawhide issue
- Tannery owners to buy rawhide form tomorrow
- JKS for transport workers’ fixed work hrs rein road accident
- How long should Kashmiris wait for peace?
- JnU’s Olympiad winner dies
- Day laborer Dalip Singh became ‘Great Khali’
- Shirin Sharmin to join South Asian Speakers’ Summit
- 1 day after buying bike, youth killed in accident
- Happy birthday Mia Bhai
- Serious health risk in handling taka: research reveals
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- `Our prayer for abolition of evil power`
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- 8 births recorded during Hajj 2019
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Kashmir outposts divided over status change
- 2 dead, 3 missing after boat sinks in Jamuna