World No Tobacco Day tomorrow
Published: 08:58 PM, 19 June 2019
World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) will be observed on Thursday in the country highlighting health risks of tobacco consumption and effective policies to reduce its use.
Every year, the World Health Organization (WHO) and global partners observe World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) on May 31. But this year, the country will celebrate the Day on Thursday.
The annual campaign is an opportunity to raise awareness of the harmful and deadly effects of tobacco use and second-hand smoke exposure and to discourage the use of tobacco in any form.
The focus of World No Tobacco Day 2019 is on “Tobacco and Lung Health.”
The campaign will increase awareness mainly on the negative impact of tobacco on lung health from cancer to chronic respiratory disease.
The slogan of the Day is, ‘Don’t Let Tobacco: Take Your Breath Away. Choose Health Not Tobacco’.
Health and Family Welfare Ministry today organized a press briefing on observing the day in a befitting manner at the conference room of the ministry at Secretariat here where Joint Secretary M Khairul Alam Sheikh briefed at the event.
Additional Secretary (Development) Babul Kumar Saha and Additional Secretary M Saidur Rahman were present, among others.
Emphasizing on creating awareness to prevent tobacco consumption, M Khairul Alam Sheikh urged the authorities concerned to execute the laws and regulations properly to this end.
Over 70 lakh people die every year due to tobacco consumption and more than nine lakh people affected by passive smoking, he said.
“The government amended Smoking and Tobacco Products Usage (Control) Act, 2005 in 2013 and formulated Smoking and Tobacco Products Usage (Control) Rule, 2015,” he said, adding that one percent surcharge has been imposed on the selling price of tobacco products from 2014-15.
M Khairul Alam also said it is under the government’s consideration to increase the tax on tobacco and make the tax infrastructure easier.
National Tobacco Control Cell Health Services Division, WHO, different government and non-government organizations have taken several initiatives to observe the Day.
The national newspapers will publish special supplements while Bangladesh Television, Bangladesh Betar and other private TV channels will air special programs highlighting the harmful effects of tobacco use.
- Third prime accused Rishan Farazi held
- Hearing on writ challenges rickshaw ban today
- Writ filed seeking compensation of Tk 1cr for victim
- PM inaugurates ‘National Fisheries Week-2019’
- Water level of Jamuna rises, 50 villages flooded
- Elon Musk wants to merge human brains with AI
- New EvilGnome Backdoor Spies on Linux Users, Steals Their Files
- Message in a bottle written 50 yrs ago found in Australia
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Ershad wasn`t just my brother but teacher: GM Quader
- Old Dhaka building collapse: Father-Son’s bodies recovered
- Inzamam to step down as Pakistan chief selector
- Modeling early meteorite impacts on the moon
- Did Leonardo da Vinci have ADHD?
- ‘I am innocent’; claimed ex-OC Moazzem
- Kholi losing captaincy!
- 20 thou people victim in Patgram road collapse
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- ‘My Masud appointed as Police’
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son missing
- Boys in GPA 5, girls ahead in pass rate
- Chattogram range`s best OC Jahidul Kabir
- Quatar WC qualifiers: Bangladesh in Group E
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- England face Australia in high-voltage semis today
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN