World Meteorological Day tomorrow
Published: 10:07 PM, 22 March 2019
The World Meteorological Day will be observed in Bangladesh like other countries in the world on Saturday commemorating the emergence of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) as a specialized agency of the United Nations.
“Every year, on 23 March, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and its 193 member states and territories, including Bangladesh, observe this day commemorating the emergence of WMO as a specialized agency of the United Nations,” said an ISPR press release.
President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today issued separate messages on the occasion of the World Meteorological Day.
This year, the day will be observed with particular emphasis on the theme ‘the Sun, the Earth and the Weather’, selected by the WMO, the release added.
Different programs have been taken to observe the day at Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD) headquarters in the city and at the divisional offices along with its significant branch offices across the country.
An exhibition of meteorological instruments and a documentary screening on related issues will be held at the headquarters, significant road islands will be decorated and a rally will be brought out.
A technical session will be conducted by the Officers’ Association of BMD. Special supplements will be published in some well-known daily newspapers. Bangladesh Betar and Bangladesh Television will air special programs considering the significance of the day.
Moreover, the operational units and radar stations of Dhaka, Cox’s Bazar, Khepupara, Rangpur and Moulvibazar will remain open for the public. The interaction between the sun and the earth plays a vital role in maintaining the earth’s energy balance, and at the same time it helps drive entire water cycle and climate system.
Against this backdrop, ‘The Sun, the Earth and the Weather’, the theme of the ‘World Meteorological Day’ will thus help people to gain more knowledge about the combined impacts of the sun and the earth on global weather and climate.
Bangladesh is a member state of the WMO. Therefore, the exchange of inter-state weather forecast and the location and time specific pertinent information regarding weather and climate, and the interaction of sun and the earth play an important role in the socio-economic development.
Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Ministry of Defence Major General (Retd) Mohammad Shubid Ali Bhuiyan will inaugurate the day’s program.
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Russia eases citizenship rules in east Ukraine
- Govt mulling commission to identify Bangabandhu killers
- Sri Lanka admits `major` lapse over deadly Islamist blasts
- Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan reach semifinals
- Malaria situation improves in CHT
- PM alerted about terror activities
- 105 illegal structures demolished in N’ganj, Tongi
- Indian envoy calls on President
- PM consoles Zayan’s family
- Zayan laid to rest
- Brexit or no Brexit, UK with Bangladesh: Sir Simon
- BNP mourns Zayan’s killing in Sri Lanka bombings
- DU-affiliated 7 college students withdraw blockade
- Zayan’s namaz-e-janaza held
- Happy Birthday Sachin Tendulkar!
- Mannan for tapping huge potentials of blue economy
- UFO sightings have reached an all-time high
- Primary assistant teacher recruitment exam from May 10
- Procession, meeting banned at IU
- Company tempted farmers for tobacco cultivation!
- Google gets FAA OK for drone deliveries
- Sri Lanka attacks: Bomber ‘studied in UK and Australia’
- PM at Banani to see Zayan’s body
- OC’s cellphones seized over Nusrat killing case
- ‘We stand beside Mila’
- Fire at Kutupalong Rohingya camp
- Edu minister for upsurge education budget
- Harvesting Irri-boro paddy begins in Rajshahi
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand