World Meteorological Day tomorrow
Published: 10:07 PM, 22 March 2019
The World Meteorological Day will be observed in Bangladesh like other countries in the world on Saturday commemorating the emergence of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) as a specialized agency of the United Nations.
“Every year, on 23 March, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and its 193 member states and territories, including Bangladesh, observe this day commemorating the emergence of WMO as a specialized agency of the United Nations,” said an ISPR press release.
President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today issued separate messages on the occasion of the World Meteorological Day.
This year, the day will be observed with particular emphasis on the theme ‘the Sun, the Earth and the Weather’, selected by the WMO, the release added.
Different programs have been taken to observe the day at Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD) headquarters in the city and at the divisional offices along with its significant branch offices across the country.
An exhibition of meteorological instruments and a documentary screening on related issues will be held at the headquarters, significant road islands will be decorated and a rally will be brought out.
A technical session will be conducted by the Officers’ Association of BMD. Special supplements will be published in some well-known daily newspapers. Bangladesh Betar and Bangladesh Television will air special programs considering the significance of the day.
Moreover, the operational units and radar stations of Dhaka, Cox’s Bazar, Khepupara, Rangpur and Moulvibazar will remain open for the public. The interaction between the sun and the earth plays a vital role in maintaining the earth’s energy balance, and at the same time it helps drive entire water cycle and climate system.
Against this backdrop, ‘The Sun, the Earth and the Weather’, the theme of the ‘World Meteorological Day’ will thus help people to gain more knowledge about the combined impacts of the sun and the earth on global weather and climate.
Bangladesh is a member state of the WMO. Therefore, the exchange of inter-state weather forecast and the location and time specific pertinent information regarding weather and climate, and the interaction of sun and the earth play an important role in the socio-economic development.
Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Ministry of Defence Major General (Retd) Mohammad Shubid Ali Bhuiyan will inaugurate the day’s program.
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- `There is a chance to joint invest in Bangladesh`
- BNP’s anarchy will not be tolerated: Hasan
- Sachin picks Shakib in his World Cup XI
- Zimbabwe inflation rate soars to 175%
- Train crash kills 9 with new weds
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- HC recommends punishment against 50 including Masud
- Zuma denies being `king of corrupt people`
- Nusrat murder: HC orders probe against ADM Enamul
- Shakib included in CWC19 best XI
- Fired DIG Mizan questioning at prison gate
- Primary students dropout rate decreased
- Jaffer, Ramanayeke as Tigers batting, bowling coach in SL tour
- Will be apologising to Williamson `For the rest of my life`
- Eid-ul-Azha advanced train ticket from Jul 29
- Partial lunar eclipse Wednesday
- New wave of cybercrime in Pakistan
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Non-government employees, slum dwellers to get flat: PM
- Temperature may rise over country
- PM opens 7 housing uplift schemes
- South Korean PM Lee leaves Dhaka
- Shah Rukh Khan to produce horror series for Netflix
- Russia`s Real Reasons for Partnering with Iran
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- Ershad’s 2nd namaz-e-janaza held
- Pickup van hits covered van in Gazipur, kills 3
- Over 1,000 Google Play Store apps hiding a nasty secret
- Queen salutes England after World Cup glory
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- MP Firoz Rashid’s daughter-in-law Merina shot
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Saima rape, murder: Prime accused confesses to crime
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- NBR to launch mobile app to increase taxpayers
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HM Ershad passes away
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- China assures to work to resolve Rohingya crisis: PM
- Netherlands Queen Maxima due today
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Rickshaw pullers block Dhaka streets protesting ban
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- Ershad`s son Eric receives kidnap threat
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Rifat murder: Rifat Farazi in 7-day remand
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Dutch Queen Maxima arrives
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- CU gets its first woman proctor
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Sexual assault on Nusrat: charges to be formed Jul 17
- Kader Siddiqui quits Oikyafront
- Don’t publish deceptive information about milk: HC
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped