Women’s Euro 2021 to kick off at Old Trafford
Published: 11:05 PM, 23 February 2020
England will kick off the 2021 women’s European Championship at Old Trafford as part of an ambitious target to sell 700,000 tickets for the event and smash previous attendance records.
The final of the 16-team tournament between July 7 and August 1 next year will take place at Wembley with eight other stadiums across England hosting the other 29 matches.
“To kick-off at the Theatre of Dreams in Manchester and to have the final at the iconic Wembley Stadium shows just how far the game has come,” said UEFA’s head of women’s football and former German international Nadine Kessler.
England’s Football Association is hoping to ride the momentum of the Lionesses’ run to the semi-finals of last year’s World Cup.
England’s 2-1 friendly defeat by Germany at Wembley fell just short of a European record for a women’s match as nearly 78,000 attended.
Sheffield, Brentford, Brighton, Leigh, Rotherham, Milton Keynes, Southampton, and Manchester City’s Academy Stadium will host 29 of the 31 matches with capacities ranging from 4,700 to 32,000.
The plan to sell 700,000 tickets is an ambitious one. At the 2017 Euros in the Netherlands, which the hosts won to boost crowd numbers, only 240,000 tickets were sold. The largest attendance at last year’s World Cup was 58,000 and the previous record for a match at the women’s Euros is 41,000.
However, having witnessed the massive transformation in the popularity of the women’s game in England, Sue Campbell, the FA’s director of women’s football is hopeful of raising the bar once again.
- Singer Adam Schlesinger dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus transforms before revealing symptoms: Study
- 2 arrested in Gazipur for spreading coronavirus rumors
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- DC distributes relief at night to maintain social distance
- Family of 4 all die of coronavirus in a week
- 327 Japanese left Bangladesh
- Youth slaughtered on his way home in Jashore
- Charles says pandemic is strange, frustrating and distressing
- Two drug dealers killed in Naogaon gunfight
- Former land minister Shamsur Rahman dies
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Kaptai
- Coronavirus test facilities in 5 hospitals
- Coronavirus claims 923 lives in Spain in a day
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Israeli health minister, wife contract COVID-19
- US coronavirus cases surpass 200,000, records deaths in a day
- Coronavirus: Death toll exceeds 47,000; infection over .9 million
- Army to go tough from today
- RPMP Police launches home delivery service
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 45,500
- Fake police caught demanding extortion
- Ctg woman who died in isolation ward tested negative for Covid-19
- 18 houses burnt in 20 minutes at Rohingya camp
- All courts to remain closed in 2nd phase holidays
- 4 woman killed in NY building fire
- Champions League suspended indefinitely
- Coronavirus infected woman journo shares 13 new symptoms
- Teenager dies in Bogura isolation
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Coronavirus death toll surges 21,000
- BGMEA decides to close all factories
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- England plans to return field by early May
- Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed