Women should have free access to sanitary napkins: Akshay Kumar
Published: 01:34 PM, 5 January 2018 Updated: 04:49 PM, 5 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Indian National Award-winning actor Akshay Kumar is addressing the issue of menstrual hygiene in his forthcoming film PadMan and said that women should get sanitary napkins for free as it is a basic necessity for them.
`The Toilet: Ek Prem Katha` actor Akshay Kumar wants to reach out the government to cut down on GST rate of sanitary napkins.
He said that he thinks women should have free access to sanitary napkins. This is their basic necessity and it is about menstrual hygiene, not luxury.
He also said that it is an unfortunate matter that 82 percent women in this country have no access to sanitary pads and they are mistreated during those five days of their menstruation period.
PadMan is a biography film which is based on Arunachalam Muruganantham who invented a low-cost sanitary pad making the machine in India. But the subject of Pad Man is considered a taboo or a sensitive issue in India. A question was asked Akhsay that what are the elements that he has kept in mind while promoting the film?
Akhsay replied not to call it a sensitive issue. He said that it is time to get rid of those taboos that attached to it and it is time to treat the issue maturely. Also, form a women`s point of view, they should not shy away from talking about the issue, and certainly should not whisper about it.
He feels that people should celebrate when a girl meets with her puberty like they celebrate festivals like Holi and Diwali. He added that when people celebrate it, the girl who is already going through a physical and hormonal transition will feel confident and secure. But we excluded our women from the normality of life during those five days. So from the first experience, women feel that period is something they should hide. So you know where we should start from.
The film `Padman` is produced by Akshay’s wife Twinkle Khanna and directed by R. Balki, PadMan which is set to release on January 26.
PADMAN Official Trailer
- T-Aman seedbed prepared on 100 acres in Gaibandha
- Man dies of dengue in Mymensingh
- Vegetable vendor dies of dengue in Khulna
- Fish trader killed in Mirpur road crash
- ‘No existence of media owners without journalists’
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Rain may increase gradually in next 72hrs
- Rains lash India`s northern states, kills 30
- Cabinet’s meeting after 7wks
- ‘Allahar Dal’s ameer among 4 ‘militants’ held
- Major General dismissed for sexual harassment
- Massive cyberattack; List of affected websites
- Issues that will be discussed during Jayashankar’s visit
- Gibraltar rejects US request
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Marium, a lovely animal dies after eating plastic
- New Indonesian capital to be in Jungle?
- How to cook meat faster
- Tourists unhappy over Teknaf`s odor-pollution
- Fatima: The Wonder Lady!
- Rail links with Khulna snapped
- Maududist modern era devil: Agriculture Minister
- ‘Blood Bank of Kaliganj’ saved thousand lives
- ‘Mayaboti’ release date scheduled
- Dressing room rift misinterpreted in media: Mahmudullah
- Humayun for all-side interest on rawhide issue
- Tannery owners to buy rawhide form tomorrow
- JKS for transport workers’ fixed work hrs rein road accident
- How long should Kashmiris wait for peace?
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- `Our prayer for abolition of evil power`
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- 8 births recorded during Hajj 2019
- Kashmir outposts divided over status change
- 2 dead, 3 missing after boat sinks in Jamuna