Will be apologising to Williamson `For the rest of my life`
Published: 05:01 PM, 15 July 2019 Updated: 05:01 PM, 15 July 2019
England's World Cup hero Ben Stokes was voted man of the match after hitting an unbeaten 84 in a thrilling England run chase that ended with the match tied and culminated with the hosts' maiden World Cup triumph. However, it could have been very different for England.
In the final over of England's chase, Ben Stokes hit Trent Boult to deep mid-wicket and took off for a double but as he dived to complete the second run, the throw from Martin Guptill hit his bat and ran to the boundary for an extra four runs. Stokes immediately put his hands up to apologise but the damage had been done to New Zealand. After the match, the all-rounder said that he would be apologising to New Zealand captain Kane Williamson for the rest of his life for the incident.
"I am pretty lost for words. All the hard work to get here and be world champions, it's an amazing feeling. Playing against New Zealand is always a good event, they are good lads. I will be apologising to Kane for the rest of my life (the overthrow for the six runs total)...It was written in the stars to happen for us," he was quoted as saying by www.nzherald.co.nz.
Stokes then struck another eight not out from three balls in the Super Over to set New Zealand a 16-run target.
Jofra Archer bowled England's over against Martin Guptill and Jimmy Neesham, who smashed a six off the second ball.
With two runs required off the final ball, wicketkeeper Jos Buttler and Jason Roy combined to run out Guptill as he came back for the second.
Both sides finished on 15 but England won due to a tie-break rule because they hit more boundaries.
- Repatriation halts due to Rohingya’s distrust to Myanmar
- Mexican journalist stabbed to death
- Do aliens really exist?
- Sub-Editor to be recruited in Daily Bangladesh
- Stokes 135* leads England to epic test win
- Watling, Grandhomme put NZ ahead in 2nd Test
- Miraz rates Bangladesh ahead of Afghanistan Test
- Faridpur road crash kills cyclist
- Hilsa abound in sea, very few in rivers
- Man jailed for honey!
- Purnima demands excess payment
- `If Bangabandhu`s killers brought under trial, Zia won`t killed`
- Bermuda Triangle: Mystery Museum on earth
- Prof Muzaffar laid to rest with state honor
- Two die as bus hits van in Madaripur
- Truck ramps private car, driver killed
- Bangladesh U-15 outclasses Sri Lanka in 7-1 win
- Ex-Eden College principal murder: Charge sheet accepted
- Wari girl Saima rape, murder: Probe report Sept 16
- Don`t go abroad being deceived by broker: PM
- Yield, market price brings smile on jute growers
- Rain likely across country
- HC orders to remove word ‘Kumari’ from Kabinnama
- Trump confident on Brexit talks
- NASA to prob ‘first crime’ in space
- Messi to miss Barcelona`s game at Real Betis
- New DC in Chuadanga-Khagrachari
- ‘DC Ahmed Kabir will be received exemplary punishment’
- Two senior DMP officials transferred
- New heroine with Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Aghoris: The ‘Black Magicians’!
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PEC exam schedule published
- Kamrup Kamakhya: Mystery of India
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Rayudu promises IPL return for CSK
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves