Holey Artisan attack
Why Mizan acquitted?
Published: 01:15 PM, 27 November 2019 Updated: 01:17 PM, 27 November 2019
The court on Wednesday has awarded death sentence to seven of the eight accused in the case of the horrific militant attack in the Gulshan’s Holey Artisan Bakery in 2016. And another accused – Mizanur Rahman – was acquitted from the case.
Judge Mojibur Rahman of Dhaka’s Special Anti-Terrorism Tribunal gave the verdict at 12:00 pm.
The death convicts are — Jahangir Alam alias Rajib Gandhi, Rakibul Hasan Regan, Rashedul Islam alias Rash, Haatkata Sohel Mahfuz, Hadisur Rahman Sagar, Shariful Islam alias Khaled and Mamunur Rashid alias Ripon.
Mizanur Rahman alias Boro Mizan — a residence of Hazarbighi Chaanpur in Shibganj, Chapainawabganj — was arrested on November 2, 2016, in Darussalam area of Dhaka.
He was shown arrest for allegedly playing a role in the assassination attempt by assisting in supplying explosives used in the Gulshan attack.
However, in a confessional statement, Mizan told the court that he was a fish trader and has been charged due to the same name as the accused. Later, further investigation revealed the truth.
Earlier at 10:15 am, the accused were brought by prison van from Keraniganj’s to Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Court.
- 50 shops gutted in Ukhia fire
- HC bans laminated posters in city polls
- E-passport launched
- One year of losing Imtiaz Bulbul
- China’s ‘Coronavirus’ now attacks US, one died
- Demolition of BGMEA building started
- E-passport to be launched today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Naval services on Paturia-Daulatdia halted
- Copa del Rey: Barcelona to face Ibiza tonight
- BNP is a failed political party: Quader
- 2 held over ‘rape’ of girl in N’ganj
- Srijit was hot-headed before marriage: Raima
- Ishita sings with son
- 11 held with marijuana-cash in Bhairab
- Facebook to boost site safety with 1,000 more UK staff
- Tigers’ Pak T20 series rescheduled
- Newborn baby found wrapped in lungi
- No alternative to eating alone to lose weight!
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- 2 Indian soldiers killed in Kashmir gunfight
- Three-way traffic collision kills 4 in Keraniganj
- Child drowned in Faridpur
- Homemade way to blacken hair
- National Science and Technology Week begins in Gopalganj
- Illegal establishments abolished in Singair
- 68,000 families to get disaster-resistant home in Mujib Year
- De Kock to lead SA ODI team
- Baby dies after drowning in Faridpur
- Debtor stabbed farmer for Tk 200
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- One held in Sirajganj over child rape charge
- China’s new virus likely to spread around