Why Bangladesh left out Fizz
Published: 04:14 PM, 1 March 2019
Bangladesh have rested their best bowler Mustafizur Rahman in the first test against host New Zealand at Hamilton, started on February 28. Mustafizur's fitness limitations were the reason for his exclusion from the Hamilton Test, Bangladesh coach Steve Rhodes has said. The team management, Rhodes said, felt it was better to rest him, with a bigger workload planned for him in Wellington.
Mustafizur's absence has come into focus with Bangladesh's inexperienced three-man pace attack going wicketless while delivering 66 overs so far in New Zealand's first innings. Mustafizur has played 12 Tests so far. Of the three quicks featuring in Hamilton, Abu Jayed is playing his fourth Test, Khaled Ahmed his second, and Ebadat Hossain is on debut.
Rhodes said Mustafizur would have to bowl into the notoriously strong wind at the Basin Reserve in the second Test, which begins on March 8.
"It is a real struggle for him to bowl in back-to-back Test matches," Rhodes said. "To get the best out of him mentally and keeping him fresh, is to spell the Tests that he plays. I think you can gather from that that he will come back into the fold in the next Test.
"One of the reasons we wanted him to play in Wellington is because there's going to be a blowing gale there. He is our best bowler into the wind. There's a lot of work for the Fizz in Wellington, which is why we wanted him to be fresh. Everything is horses for courses."
Rhodes felt Ebadat bowled with good pace on his first day in the field as a Test cricketer but would have to be physically and mentally stronger, alongside Khaled and Jayed, in order to bowl more consistently, as well as recover for the next day's battle.
"It is very difficult to be critical of someone like Ebadat," Rhodes said. "He showed great enthusiasm. Good pace. They need a bit of experience. They have to recover quickly for tomorrow, so those are areas they have to improve upon, as well as hitting that line and length for long enough.
"You have to hit that wicket nice and hard for a sustained period. These are all learning curves for Khaled, Ebadat and Rahi."
- Security around Supreme Court beefed up
- Coronavirus scary: Samsung`s factory closed
- Today’s sports on TV
- Bus kills 9 months’ kid with mum
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Father shots lightning bird, son takes responsibility to cure
- AL leader shot dead in Bandarban
- 2 drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Teenager electrocuted in Chakaria
- Top terrorist Zisan’s close aide Shakil held
- Worshiping Trump’s idol!
- FBCCI favor trade with China continues
- Naeem credits Taijul for his success
- ‘Very enthusiastic people aggravating coronavirus’
- Harsh condition of healthcare in Sarankhola
- Elderly man killed in Noakhali road accident
- Cristiano Ronaldo set to make 1,000th
- Shakib Khan’s new actress Salwa!
- Elderly man killed in tractor-nachimon collision
- Nirbhaya case convicts to be hanged on March 3
- Bangladesh emerges as self-dignified country under Sheikh Hasina
- Road reformed with kerosene spray!
- Daulatdia brothel gets namaz-e-janaza for third time
- Sammy to receive honorary citizenship of Pakistan
- Schoolgirl takes poison for lover’s weeding
- Sri Lanka win by 1 wicket in vacillate 1st ODI
- Ryanair boss criticized for Muslim profiling comments
- Maulana Mehmood Madani to visit Dhaka
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangabandhu Book Corner for all primary schools
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- Faf du Plessis steps down as South Africa captain
- Padma Bridge’s 25th span to be installed on Language Day
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020