Why Bangladesh left out Fizz
Published: 04:14 PM, 1 March 2019
Bangladesh have rested their best bowler Mustafizur Rahman in the first test against host New Zealand at Hamilton, started on February 28. Mustafizur's fitness limitations were the reason for his exclusion from the Hamilton Test, Bangladesh coach Steve Rhodes has said. The team management, Rhodes said, felt it was better to rest him, with a bigger workload planned for him in Wellington.
Mustafizur's absence has come into focus with Bangladesh's inexperienced three-man pace attack going wicketless while delivering 66 overs so far in New Zealand's first innings. Mustafizur has played 12 Tests so far. Of the three quicks featuring in Hamilton, Abu Jayed is playing his fourth Test, Khaled Ahmed his second, and Ebadat Hossain is on debut.
Rhodes said Mustafizur would have to bowl into the notoriously strong wind at the Basin Reserve in the second Test, which begins on March 8.
"It is a real struggle for him to bowl in back-to-back Test matches," Rhodes said. "To get the best out of him mentally and keeping him fresh, is to spell the Tests that he plays. I think you can gather from that that he will come back into the fold in the next Test.
"One of the reasons we wanted him to play in Wellington is because there's going to be a blowing gale there. He is our best bowler into the wind. There's a lot of work for the Fizz in Wellington, which is why we wanted him to be fresh. Everything is horses for courses."
Rhodes felt Ebadat bowled with good pace on his first day in the field as a Test cricketer but would have to be physically and mentally stronger, alongside Khaled and Jayed, in order to bowl more consistently, as well as recover for the next day's battle.
"It is very difficult to be critical of someone like Ebadat," Rhodes said. "He showed great enthusiasm. Good pace. They need a bit of experience. They have to recover quickly for tomorrow, so those are areas they have to improve upon, as well as hitting that line and length for long enough.
"You have to hit that wicket nice and hard for a sustained period. These are all learning curves for Khaled, Ebadat and Rahi."
- Lemon cultivation gaining popularity in Panchagarh
- AL secretariat meeting tomorrow
- Black holes made of dark energy?
- PM hints at buying two more Boeing aircraft
- PM inaugurates Biman’s ‘Rajhangsa’
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- People’s reliance now on JP: GM Quader
- Plaintiff tries to suicide in court over husband’s bail
- Bangabandhu, Bangamata football tournament kicks-off!
- TCB to provide onion at Tk 45
- Durga Puja set-out in Jamalpur’s 210 temples
- ADB president to step down
- Rawdah of Rasulullah (SM) under Green Dome
- Puja Cherry got married!
- 27 policemen awarded in Dhaka Range Crime Conference
- Sheikh Hasina so far receives 37 int’l accolades
- Veteran coach Nazmul quits BCB
- U-23 squad announced for India tour
- Corruption in rice distribution
- Hilsa scarcity leads to paucity
- HC’s rule on CCSU election
- Smith takes 34-point lead over Kohli
- UAE introduces free visa on condition
- Woman carried away on mobility scooter in a hilarious state
- Probe report in BB reserve heist case on Oct 20
- IEEE accredited Bangladesh University
- Bosila militant den raid: Probe report on Oct 17
- Over 75 tigers died in Thailand for inbreeding fact
- Blast in Afghan President’s rally kills 24 civilians
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- ADB country director praises PM’s planned development initiatives
- Germany criticizes Netanyahu’s annexation plan
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Kristen Stewart reacts to Robert Pattinson’s Batman casting
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- 18 yrs of 9/11, worst terrorist attack in history
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- Rastafari, a religion that developed against “Whites”
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- ‘Rajhangsha’ to be inaugurated Saturday
- Mystery reveals after query actress Shimla
- Padma Bridge’s toll yet to be decided: Quader
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- Amitabh was victim to marry Jaya!
- Rohingya homes destroyed for government facilities
- 12 sailors missing as lighter ship capsizes in Bay of Bengal
- Tajia procession brought out amid tight security
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects