Who has banned Boeing`s 737 MAX after Ethiopia crash?
Published: 10:55 PM, 12 March 2019 Updated: 10:57 PM, 12 March 2019
From the UK to Australia, a raft of countries and airlines across the world have moved to ground Boeing 737 MAX aircraft following a deadly plane crash in Ethiopia on Sunday.
All 157 people on board the Ethiopian Airlines-run Boeing 737 MAX 8 died in the crash, which saw the US-manufactured plane come down six minutes after taking off from the capital, Addis Ababa.
It was the second fatal incident involving the same model in fewer than six months - a Lion Air plane of the same model crashed in Indonesia in October last year, killing 189 people - prompting intense scrutiny over the jets' control systems.
Experts are chasing details on Sunday's crash, but answers could take months.
The uncertainty has spooked investors and caused the aerospace giant's share price to plummet amid a rollout of precautionary bans and suspensions on flying the model.
Here's a list of who's taken action so far following the tragedy in Ethiopia.
Britain's Civil Aviation Authority on Tuesday banned all Boeing 737 MAX aircraft from "arriving, departing or overflying UK airspace" as a "precautionary measure".
There are currently five 737 MAX aircraft registered and operational in the UK. A sixth was planned to commence operations later this week.
Chinese authorities on Monday ordered all domestic airlines to suspend operation of the Boeing 737 MAX 8, citing the two crashes.
Noting "similarities" between the two incidents, China's Civil Aviation Administration said operation of the model would only resume after "confirming the relevant measures to effectively ensure flight safety".
China is a hugely important market for the US aircraft company, accounting for about one-fifth of worldwide deliveries of Boeing 737 MAX models.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said on Tuesday in a statement it was "temporarily suspending operation of all variants of the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft into and out of Singapore".
The move was made "in light of two fatal accidents involving Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in less than five months", the CAAS said.
Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) said on Tuesday it has temporarily suspended the operation of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft to or from Australia.
CASA CEO Shane Carmody said the move was in the best interests of safety "while we wait for more information to review the safety risks of continued operations of the Boeing 737 MAX to and from Australia".
No Australian airlines operate the Boeing 737 MAX, but two foreign airlines fly the models to Australia, according to the CASA.
France's Civil Aviation Authority (DGAC) on Tuesday announced it had banned all Boeing 737 MAX aircraft from its airspace.
"Given the circumstances of the accident in Ethiopia, the French authorities have taken the decision, as a precautionary measure, to ban all commercial flights of Boeing 737 MAXs into, out of, or over French territory," the DGAC said in a statement.
German airspace has been closed off to Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes due to safety concerns following Sunday's crash, a spokesman for the country's transport ministry said on Tuesday.
"Security comes first. I have ordered closing German air space immediately to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft and this will be effective until all doubts are cleared," Transport Minister Andreas Scheuer told local television news channel n-tv.
The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said on Tuesday it had temporarily suspended the "operation of all variants of the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft into and out of Irish airspace".
"This decision has been taken based on ensuring the continued safety of passengers and flight crew, which is the IAA's number one priority," the organisation said in a statement.
South Korea's transport ministry said on Tuesday it had advised Eastar Jet, the nation's only airline to operate Boeing 737 MAX 8s, to ground its two planes. The budget carrier had agreed to suspend its use of the aircraft starting Wednesday, it added.
The Mongolian Civil Aviation Authority said on Facebook it had ordered the state carrier MIAT Mongolian Airlines to ground the sole Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft in its fleet.
Indonesia said it was grounding its 11 jets of the 737 MAX 8 type.
Inspections of the aircraft would start Tuesday and the planes would remain grounded until they were cleared by safety regulators, Director General of Air Transport Polana Pramesti told reporters.
The Lion Air crash in October is still unresolved.
Malaysian authorities on Tuesday said all flights by Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft into and out of the country had been suspended.
The Civil Aviation Authority said in a short statement that no Malaysian carriers operate the MAX 8, but that foreign airlines were banned from flying the plane in Malaysia, and from transiting in the country, until further notice.
Oman's Public Authority for Civil Aviation announced on Tuesday the suspension of flights by Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in its jurisdiction "until further notice".
Ethiopian Airlines said on Sunday it had grounded its Boeing 737 MAX 8 fleet "until further notice".
"Although we don't yet know the cause of the accident, we have to decide to ground the particular fleet as an extra safety precaution," said the state-owned carrier, Africa's largest.
South African airline Comair said on Monday it had "decided to remove its 737 MAX 8 [fleet] from its flight schedule".
"The safety and confidence of our customers and crew is always our priority," Wrenelle Stander, executive director of Comair's airline division, said in a statement.
India's Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu announced Monday he had directed officials to "undertake safety assessment of Boeing 737-MAX" being flown by domestic carriers.
Brazil's Gol Airlines said on Monday it was temporarily suspending its commercial operations with the plane.
Mexican carrier Aeromexico, which has six 737 MAX 8s in its fleet, announcedon Monday that it was grounding the aircraft, citing the "security of its operations and the peace of the customers".
Argentina's flagship carrier, Aerolineas Argentinas, said on Monday it had suspended the operation of its five 737 MAX 8s pending the result of investigations into the crash of the Ethiopian Airlines plane.
"For Aerolineas Argentinas, the most important value is security," the carrier said in a statement.
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- ‘Amar Pita Sheikh Mujib’ festival to be inaugurated tomorrow
- Mueller report: Subpoena issued for unredacted version
- Mirsarai Economic Zone to witness factory operation in July
- Sonagazi AL leader Ruhul held over Nusrat murder
- Team management backs Soumya to regain form in WC
- Three JU students hurt in road crash on campus
- We achieved countrymen`s faith: PM
- Taskin shines after missing out WC selection
- Hasina calls for strengthening Awami League at grassroots
- Two children drown in Noakhali
- Man killed in Jamalpur road crash
- Abahani keep them in the hunt of DPL title
- AL secretariat meeting on Saturday
- 6,746 vacant posts in ministries: Farhad
- Amir misses out on Pakistan`s World Cup squad
- PML-N blamed Imran over Minister`s step down
- Man committed suicide anguished by wife
- Namaz-e-janaza of director Mizan completed in FDC
- India polls `19: Mukesh Ambani Backs Congress
- Dad saved toddler from dingo attack in Australia
- PM receives treatment at Tk 10
- UK Journo shot dead in Derry riot
- 13 killed as church roof collapses in South Africa
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- America’s 1st female astronaut candidate dies
- Secondary admission rate low yet: UNFPA
- Cox’s Bazar forests in extinction threat
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Messi rested for United as Barca draws 0-0 at Huesca
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- Nusrat murder: another accused held in Bhaluka
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- PBI found sensational information over Nusrat killing
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Google takes on ‘Africa’s challenges’ in Ghana
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Nusrat murder: 2 including Moksud arrested
- Three robbers lynched in Feni
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- Nation set to celebrate Pahela Baishakh tomorrow
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- 8 killed as bus falls into Joypurhat ditch
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- Messi coming to Dhaka
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- Pahela Baishakh being celebrated
- Swecchasebok League leader found dead in Savar
- PM gives job to Nusrat’s brother