Published: 11:58 PM, 31 December 2018 Updated: 01:15 AM, 1 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The nation welcomes 2019 with new hopes at mid night tonight through different programs along with the global community biding adieu to the outgoing year 2018.
Jubilant people, particularly the youngsters, join different New Year programs when the clock strikes 12 midnight. The landslide victory of Awami League in the 11th Jatiya Sangsad election is expected to add new zeal to the New Year celebration across the country.
As 2018 draws to a close, New Zealand is among the first few countries to usher in the New Year. The New Zealand Herald reported that thousands of people are heading into the city centers start celebrations welcoming the New Year.
Celebrations then move across the world — to Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Europe and finally the Americas.
Dazzling light shows bid adieu to 2018.
On this special occasion, people convey their best wishes to their friends and beloved ones through greeting cards and using different messaging applications and social media platforms.
Corporate and government officials and various organizations also did the same thing as they do every year to greet their nearest ones.
In separate messages, President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina greeted the countrymen on New Year 2019.
The day is also a moment of looking back to the outgoing year for reviewing the successes and failures and planning strategies to reach new goals for the New Year, with accomplishing the unfinished tasks those need to be done in the coming days.
The year 2018 was a significant year for Bangladesh as the country saw many successes in major areas including politics, economy, and agriculture, combating terrorism and driving the IT sectors towards attaining the middle-income status. The country was totally peaceful in the political landscape in 2018.
The peaceful political situation allowed the country’s economy to grow faster.
Marking the day, Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) has drawn up multi-tiered security measures. It bans holding of any program at open places for the sake of overall security and law and order, according to the DMP.
Police personnel in uniform and plainclothes have been deployed and members of Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime Unit, SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) and bomb disposal team have been discharge duties at different city points to ensure safety.
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Bogura-6 by-election underway
- Death toll rises to 5 in Kulaura train crash
- Pirate leader killed in gunfight
- "Huge" blast rocks military hospital in Pakistan
- Tigers face Afghanistan today
- Train crash: 4-member probe committee formed
- Four killed in Kulaura train crash
- Pakistan condemn woeful South Africa to WC exit
- Arab ministers on financial support for Palestinian Authority
- 7 Common distractions of Khushoo faced in Salah
- President alert SSF for duty and behavior
- Six-day ‘Exercise Pacific Angel’ begins in Lalmonirhat
- Corruption case to be lodged in ACC office
- ‘Waterway re-dredging begins to expand marine transport’
- Bogura-6 by-polls Monday
- India’s temple tent collapses during worship, kills 14
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI