Published: 11:58 PM, 31 December 2018 Updated: 01:15 AM, 1 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The nation welcomes 2019 with new hopes at mid night tonight through different programs along with the global community biding adieu to the outgoing year 2018.
Jubilant people, particularly the youngsters, join different New Year programs when the clock strikes 12 midnight. The landslide victory of Awami League in the 11th Jatiya Sangsad election is expected to add new zeal to the New Year celebration across the country.
As 2018 draws to a close, New Zealand is among the first few countries to usher in the New Year. The New Zealand Herald reported that thousands of people are heading into the city centers start celebrations welcoming the New Year.
Celebrations then move across the world — to Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Europe and finally the Americas.
Dazzling light shows bid adieu to 2018.
On this special occasion, people convey their best wishes to their friends and beloved ones through greeting cards and using different messaging applications and social media platforms.
Corporate and government officials and various organizations also did the same thing as they do every year to greet their nearest ones.
In separate messages, President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina greeted the countrymen on New Year 2019.
The day is also a moment of looking back to the outgoing year for reviewing the successes and failures and planning strategies to reach new goals for the New Year, with accomplishing the unfinished tasks those need to be done in the coming days.
The year 2018 was a significant year for Bangladesh as the country saw many successes in major areas including politics, economy, and agriculture, combating terrorism and driving the IT sectors towards attaining the middle-income status. The country was totally peaceful in the political landscape in 2018.
The peaceful political situation allowed the country’s economy to grow faster.
Marking the day, Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) has drawn up multi-tiered security measures. It bans holding of any program at open places for the sake of overall security and law and order, according to the DMP.
Police personnel in uniform and plainclothes have been deployed and members of Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime Unit, SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) and bomb disposal team have been discharge duties at different city points to ensure safety.
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man killed in Paltan road crash
- Levitating objects with light
- Movement of Suprobhat, Jabal-e-Noor buses suspended
- 300 ‘Su-Probhat’ buses on road; appro70 only
- Cucsu polls to be held soon
- 2 buses collision kills 3 in Sirajganj
- 2 burnt in Ctg gas line explosion
- No exam till class-III
- 4yrs minor girl raped by ‘uncle’
- Biz ldrs oppose Govt’s gas price hike plan
- US-Bangla starts Chennai flights from March 31
- Ershad’s 90th Birthday celebrated
- 1,221 recommended for cadre posts
- Indian investors interested to energy sec
- HC bans making film, drama on Jaha Alam
- BIWTA thrashes 185 illegal structures
- 9th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Students call off movement till March 28
- India beat Bangladesh to raced into SAFF final
- Doctor jailed using own sperm fertilizing more than 50 women
- Farhad, Saif powers Doleshwar to easy victory
- Ducsu AGS with student movement
- Suprobhat Paribahan driver put on 7-day remand
- Ardern calls for global anti-racism fight
- Arrest warrant issued against Khaleda in another case
- Fake notes of Tk 8 lakh seized: 4 held
- Not full adults until 30s: Sci
- Super worm moon to rise tmrw
- 4 to die for killing sibling farmers in M’singh
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Dhaka-Kolkata Ship service starts March 29
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- BCB has no problem with Shakib`s IPL participation
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- PM invites newly elected Ducsu leaders
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Dutch-Bangla service to be closed for 5 days
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- VP Noor urges Rokeya’s Provost to resign
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand