We want to grab 1st place in producing fish: PM
Published: 01:49 PM, 18 July 2019 Updated: 02:54 PM, 18 July 2019
Noting that Bangladesh ranked third in producing fish from inland water bodies in the world, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Thursday said, “Our country is a riverine country. Inshallah, we’ll be able to grab the first place (in the world) in the future coming out of the third place.”
The Prime Minister said this while inaugurating the National Fish Week 2019 at the auditorium of Krishibid Institution Bangladesh (KIB) in the capital.
Sheikh Hasina said the fish production in the last 10 years has increased by 58.35 percent to about 4.277 million metric tonnes. “Our target is to increase production to 4.5 million metric tonnes, not to remain stuck at 4.277 million metric tonnes.”
The Premier stressed the importance of maintaining the international standard of fish and fish products for export as riverine Bangladesh can grab the first position in the world in producing fish from inland water bodies.
“It’s very essential to maintain the quality of fish (and fish products) which we’re exporting to foreign markets,” she said.
Sheikh Hasina said once there was no good laboratory to ensure the quality of fish and fish products in the country, but her government set up three ISO-accredited laboratories in Dhaka, Chittagong and Khulna to maintain the international standard of fish and fish products.
“The fish which we’ll export should be of good quality so that those can enter the international markets,” she said.
At the inaugural ceremony, the Prime Minister also distributed ‘National Fisheries Award 2019’ among a number of individuals and organisations for their contributions to the fisheries sector.
A video presentation was made depicting the country’s success in the fisheries sector.
State Minister for Fisheries and Livestock Md Ashraf Ali Khan Khasru presided over the function, while Fisheries and Livestock Secretary Md Raisul Alam Mondal delivered the welcome speech.
Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Fisheries and Livestock Ministry Dhirendra Debnath Shambhu was present at the dais.
Director-General of Fisheries Department Abu Sayed Md Rashedul Haque conducted the award distribution function.
Later, the Prime Minister opened a fish fair on the KIB premises.
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- We must capitalise on Smith absence: Root
- Modi complains to Boris over occupied Kashmir
- Abahani beat April 25 SC 4-3
- Russell surprised to see so many journalists!
- Two kid drowns in Jashore
- Bangladesh among top 10 fastest growing freelance market
- BIDA to create 24,000 new entrepreneurs in 2 yrs
- GP appoints Jens Becker as new CFO
- Tricks to avoid snatch your bags
- Fourth JS session to begin Sept 8
- Mamata Banerjee makes tea
- Record fires in Brazilian rainforest
- Johnson, Merkel to face off in first Brexit talks
- JS resumes Sept 8
- Myanmar army clashes with rebels leave 30 dead
- 21st Aug attacks by BNP: PM
- One more dies of dengue at DMCH
- Homemade delicious `Fish Meatball`
- Forgiveness: Virtue of prophet character
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- PM to induct ‘Gangchil’ tomorrow
- Mahbub Uz Zaman appointed Bangladesh Ambassador to China
- Bangladesh HP beats Sri Lanka
- Convict arrested in Companyganj
- Man killed mother-in-law
- Soil-friendly tools must deliver to farmer: AG Minister
- Saiful walked 31 days against rumors
- `Pacers need to focus more on fitness`
- 21st Aug: Drive from Bangabandhu Avenue to Sudha Sadan
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- App launches to prevent dengue
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future