We never want to build “work-reluctant” nation: PM
Published: 01:46 PM, 2 January 2018 Updated: 09:29 PM, 3 January 2018
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said, "We never want Bangladesh be built as a work-reluctant nation. Rather, we want that everybody who has work ability and strength to utilise those for the country`s socioeconomic uplift."
The Prime Minister said this while inaugurating the National Social Services Day at the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre in Dhaka on Tuesday morning.
She said that her government provided various allowances to the distressed people including elderly, widows and the women abandoned by the husbands, so that none remains hungry and neglected.
The Premier said, "We`re providing allowances equivalent to such amount of money or little more to the distressed so that they can purchase 10 kilos of rice in a month ... we don`t want to give more than the amount. Otherwise they won`t work and stay at the house.”
She also criticised a section of civil society members who are critical of providing small amount of such allowances by the government.
"There`re some civil society members who don`t think practically, rather they see it hypothetically. We heard to say by many (people) that can any family be managed through this small amount of money? The people will manage their respective families. But our responsibility is look into the matter that nobody remains hungry or neglected." the Prime Minister added.
State Minister for Social Welfare Nuruzzaman Ahmed presided over the function, while Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on the ministry Dr Mozammel Hossain was present as the special guest. Social Welfare Secretary Md Zillar Rahman delivered the welcome address.
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves