We don't want war but look for strong armed forces: PM
Published: 06:37 PM, 21 November 2018 Updated: 06:37 PM, 21 November 2018
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday said the Armed Forces of Bangladesh need to be elevated to such a standard that goes with an independent country.
"We won't engage in war with anyone. We don't want war. But the Armed Forces will have to be elevated to such a standard that matches an independent country," she said while addressing a reception at Senakunja of Dhaka Cantonment marking the Armed Forces Day 2018.
The Prime Minister further said, "We won't spare anyone if we're attacked. We'll resist them till our last breath."
She said her government has taken all steps to equip every force with modern firearms and training.
Sheikh Hasina said her government formulated the Forces Goal 2030 on the basis of the Defence Policy 1974 framed by Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman for the Armed Forces.
Mentioning that Bangladesh gave shelter to 1.1 million persecuted Rohingyas on humanitarian ground, she said it continues its efforts to resolve the crisis through negotiations. "Myanmar has already announced that they'll take Rohingyas back from Bangladesh."
The Prime Minister also said, "Bangladesh has been able to ensure all the arrangements competently giving shelter to Rohingyas whereas many developed countries face troubles in providing shelter to refugees."
She thanked the country's people, particularly the locals of Cox's Bazar, the administration, law enforcement agencies and Armed Forces, for their cooperation in ensuring accommodation and food for the Rohingyas who fled persecutions in Rakhine state of Myanmar.
PM's Security Affairs Adviser Maj Gen (retd) Tarique Ahmed Siddique, Chief of Army Staff General Aziz Ahmed, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nizamuddin Ahmed and Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Masihuzzaman Serniabat were present on the occasion.
After addressing the audience, the Prime Minister exchanged pleasantries with the army officials and their family members, diplomats and other guests.
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- People throng book fair ignoring gloomy weather
- Real suffer shock home loss to Girona
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’