Warmbier family rebuke Trump praise of Kim
Published: 10:52 PM, 1 March 2019
The family of a US student who died after he was jailed in North Korea have implicitly rebuked President Donald Trump's lauding of Kim Jong-un.
Otto Warmbier's parents said they had been "respectful" during Mr Trump and the North Korean leader's recent summit, but were now speaking out.
They said "no excuse or lavish praise can change" that "Kim and his evil regime" killed their son.
Their statement came after Mr Trump heaped yet more compliments on Mr Kim.
Mr Trump's second nuclear summit with Mr Kim this week in Vietnam ended without agreement.
What did the Warmbiers say?
The family released a brief statement on Friday condemning praise for the North Korean leader, without mentioning Mr Trump by name.
"We have been respectful during this summit process. Now we must speak out," wrote Fred and Cindy Warmbier.
"Kim and his evil regime are responsible for the death of our son Otto.
"Kim and his evil regime are responsible for unimaginable cruelty and inhumanity. No excuse or lavish praise can change that."
Warmbier, a University of Virginia student, was jailed in Pyongyang in January 2016 during an organised tour, accused of stealing a hotel poster.
The 22-year-old was sentenced to 15 years' hard labour, but released after 17 months.
He was returned to the US in a vegetative state in June 2017, and died days later in his hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio.
What did President Trump say?
Mr Trump told reporters in Hanoi, referring to Mr Warmbier's death: "He [Mr Kim] tells me he didn't know about it, and I will take him at his word."
The president added that Mr Kim felt "very badly" about the case.
In a Fox News interview aired late on Thursday, Mr Trump said Mr Kim was "sharp as you can be" and "a real leader".
"Some people say I shouldn't like him," the US president told Fox News host Sean Hannity, a vocal Trump advocate. "Why shouldn't I like him?"
The president said he gets along "really well" with Mr Kim, describing him as "a pretty mercurial guy".
"He's a character. He's a real personality. He's very smart."
Explaining why the summit broke down, Mr Trump said: "Well, they wanted to denuke certain areas and I wanted everything."
Hannity defended the president's decision to walk away, recommending a reading of Mr Trump's book, The Art of the Deal, to truly "understand" his tactics.
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Traffic sergeant’s father files writ for compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- Habits that extremely harmful for liver
- Rain likely to increase, temperature may fall
- Advance train tickets to be sold at 5 spots
- Fire breaks out at CMCH Psychiatry department
- 25 schoolgirls fall sick from laughing too much
- ‘Lion King’ roars as surpassing ‘Avengers’ record
- Ronaldo will not face rape charges
- Critical security flaw found in VLC Player
- Two robbers killed in Sundarbans gunfight
- Large-scale government data hacks in Russia, Bulgaria
- Mehazabien with new story
- Shinzo Abe wins Japan’s upper house poll
- National Public Service Day-2019 today
- Renu lynched in Badda: 2 more held
- Drug peddler killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Suspended ACC director Basir held
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- No cattle hat blocking roads: DMP Commissioner
- Books in hand, fear in mind
- BHBCUC suspends Priya Saha
- Farmers passing busy days in cattle fattening
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- How to get HSC result
- Minni sent to jail
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Humanity for animal !