Walton, Imrul guides Chattogram to clinch 2nd win
Published: 06:04 PM, 14 December 2019 Updated: 06:04 PM, 14 December 2019
Chadwick Walton's quick fifty and Imrul Kayes' 44 guided Chattogram Challengers to clinch victory over Rangpur Rangers in the Bangabandhu Bangladesh Premier League (BBPL) at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium today.
Despite a brilliant 54 ball-78 from opener Naim Shiekh, Rangpur Rangers conceded a six-wicket defeat to Mahmudullah Riyad lead Chattogram Challengers.
Amid the mindless batting of his other colleagues, Naim stood tall to help Rangpur post 157-8, a fighting total by any means. However, it was not enough as opener Chadwick Walton and Imrul Kayes batted with utmost confidence to help the Chattogram Challengers reach the winning target 158-4 in 18.2 overs.
It was Chattogram’s second victory in third match while Rangpur’s second straight defeat in the tournament, having suffered a 105-run defeat to Cumilla Warriors in the opening game.
Walton gave the side kind of a start what the side needed. He and his fellow opener Avishka Fernando shared a 68-run partnership to give the side a decent platform.
Lewis Gregory gave Rangpur the breakthrough, having dismissed Fernando for 37 but Walton got an ably support in Imrul Kayes to take the side closer.
Before Rangpur captain Mohammad Nabi removed Walton, the Caribbean struck 50 off 34 with four fours and three sixes.
Rangpur then got a glimmer of hope to bounce back in the match when they got the better of Chattogram captain Mahmudullah Riyad (15), who played his first match and Nasir Hossain for 3.
Kayes remained unfazed by the fall of wickets around him and stayed till the last to win the game for the side. Kayes was not out on 44 off 33 with three fours and two sixes.
Being sent to bat first, Rangpur’s innings was all about the stellar effort of Naim Sheikh who amid the wickets tumbling around him kept the side in the hunt of the decent total.
His fellow opener Mohammad Shahzad was out on run-a-ball-9 and the middle order couldn’t survive in the face of some disciplined bowling of Chattogram bowler, led by Kesrick Williams.
Naim struck six fours and three sixes in his 78 off 54 and was adjudged man of the match despite being in the losing side. Mohammad Nabi was the other notable scorer for Rangpur with 12 ball-21 while Gregory made 11.
Williams claimed 2-35 to be the most successful bowler for Chattogram.
- Four poppy fields destroyed in Bandarban
- Sportsman of the year Ruman Sana, Cricketer Shakib
- Continuity of government made Bangladesh’s uplift visible: PM
- Jr Tigers becomes ‘C’ group champion
- Volleyball tournament in Sherpur on Mujib Year
- Trump to sign US-Mexico-Canada trade deal
- China shut down 13 cities as virus toll climbs
- Thai Exim Bank, JBIC keen to invest Bangladesh sugar mills
- Main accused of Sabujbagh child-rape case arrested
- What Mahmudullah said after losing to Pakistan
- UK welcomes ICJ ruling, asks Myanmar to comply
- ‘Dwitiyo Purush’ expected to release in Bangladesh
- ‘Occupied playground will be restored’
- Technical education to be compulsory
- Woman dies wrapping warm-clothes with auto
- ICJ’s verdict important: Nasima Begum
- `Steps will be taken to increase onion production`
- Merchant killed in Bogura, 1 arrested
- Cricket tournament in Meherpur on Mujib Year
- Elderly Body found in Sylhet
- Mimi got stuck in oil ad
- USA crackdown visas for pregnant foreigners
- 3 drug dealers fined in Mujibnagar
- Man dies fallen from petrol pump roof in Ashulia
- Bangladesh starts Pakistan tour with loss
- BNP, the worst opposition party: Quader
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- DU to host special convocation for Bangabandhu Sep 5
- Katrina, Vicky chill together
- Anti-US demonstration protest in Iraq
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- E-passport to be launched today
- DMP’s letter to EC to keep close trade fair for 2 days
- ‘Law enforcers will work under EC directives’
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack