Voting underway in tense DR Congo election
Published: 03:23 PM, 30 December 2018 Updated: 03:47 PM, 30 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
People in the Democratic Republic of Congo are voting for a new president in an election delayed for more than two years.
Close to 40m people are eligible to vote for a replacement for President Joseph Kabila - in power since 2001.
But the run-up has been hit by violence and controversy over the decision to exclude almost 1.3m people from voting.
On Saturday, rival candidates also failed to agree on a statement aimed at reducing tension before the poll.
Voting began at 05:00 (04:00 GMT) and ends at 17:00.
What's the context for these elections?
If everything passes without incident, this will be the first peaceful transition in DR Congo since it gained independence from Belgium in 1960.
The current president took over from his assassinated father Laurent in 2001, but he is barred from running for another term under the constitution.
He was supposed to step down two years ago, but the election was postponed after the electoral commission said it needed more time to register voters.
The decision triggered violent clashes, as the opposition accused Mr Kabila of trying to cling on to power.
Then last week, the election was delayed again, for seven days, because of problems deploying voting materials to polling sites.
This all came after thousands of electronic voting machines - being used for the first time - were destroyed in a fire in the capital, Kinshasa.
- ‘Bamboo’ in Rail Bridge
- Rifat died of six deep wounds: physician
- Dustbin at hospital’s entrance
- Rifat’s body on way to Barguna
- HM declares stern action against Rifat’s killers
- ‘Bangabandhu struggled whole life for two purposes’
- Those who stood, mainly blocked our way: Rifat’s wife
- Issue alert on boarder: HC to IGP
- Rohit falls early as India bat first
- Hackers steal data from telecoms: cyber firm
- Rural women making own fortune in Rangpur region
- Temperature may fall further
- New Silex malware bricks 2000 plus IoT devices
- Deputy Attorney Generals appointed before 2017 asked to resign
- Barguna murder: HC seeks info about ‘action’ taken within noon
- Rape accused killed in Sitakunda gunfight
- 1 held over brutal murder of Barguna man
- Mahbubur to die for killing Ranada Prasad Shaha
- How US aggressively flexed its cyber warfare powers under Trump
- US carried out cyberattacks on Iran: reports
- UN warns of telecom blackout cover for Myanmar military abuses
- Verdict on Ranada Prasad Shaha murder case today
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- All News »
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Say Alhamdulillah
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Malaysia calls for ‘justice’ for Rohingyas
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Primary recruit exam: 6 held over fake question trafficking
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Heartbreaking photo of dead migrants stirs outrage