Voting underway in national election
Published: 08:12 AM, 30 December 2018 Updated: 12:06 PM, 30 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Voting began in the 11th parliamentary elections on Sunday morning amid much enthusiasm and festivity.
The balloting began at 8:00 am and will continue till 4:00 pm without any break.
Prime Minister and Awami League president Sheikh Hasina already cast her ballot at Dhaka City College.
A total of 1,861 candidates are vying for the polls. Among them, 1,733 are from political parties and 128 independents.
A total of 10, 42, 38,677 voters, including 5, 25, 72,365 male and 5,16,66,312 female, will cast their votes at 206,477 polling booths of the 40,183 voting centers in 299 constituencies across the country.
However, the election in Gaibandha-3 constituency has been deferred due to the death of a candidate and voting for the seat will be held on January 27.
The EC will take votes using Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) at all polling booths in six constituencies for the first time. The constituencies are- Dhaka-6 and 13, Chattogram-9, Rangpur-3, Khulna-2 and Satkhira-2.
In compliance with new electoral rules, a total of 39 registered political parties are contesting the polls.
About 608,000 members of law enforcement agencies, 66 returning officers, will perform their responsibilities to conduct the election across the country.
A total of 4,0183 presiding officers, 20, 7,312 assistant presiding officers and 4,14,624 polling officers have been appointed for conducting the election while about 1,328 executive magistrates will be deployed and 640 judicial magistrates will work in 122 electoral inquiry committees during the polls.
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight with BGB
- Driver-helper killed as truck overturns
- Saudi Arabia blames Iran for tanker attacks
- Tax rebate if organization will recruit physically challenged
- Pakistan meets India this afternoon
- Murtaja not be executed, Saudis say
- SC reopens today after 21-day vacation
- 3 drug traders killed in Teknaf gunfight
- President leaves Dushanbe for Uzbekistan today
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Afghanistan all out for 125
- China’s largest ever Picasso exhibition opens
- Rapist kept in jail as he refused to marry victim
- Wellbeing: 2 Hours of Nature a Week
- Heavy metals result of supernova explosion
- ‘I am working in life risk to fulfill Bangabandhu’s dream’
- Two Unique Mosques in Indonesia have a breathtaking Architect
- India-Pakistan World Cup statistics!
- Australia post 334 against Sri Lanka
- Air Chief left for France
- 14 post-election murder in India’s west Bengal
- Proposed budget is business-friendly: FBCCI
- Schoolboy killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Mushfiq injured in practice
- South Africa opt to bowl against Afghanistan
- SC ends 21 days shut tomorrow
- Tk 80,190 cr proposed for children in next FY
- Trump official pressed NASA on climate science
- `Govt takes step to prevent river erosion, water logging`
- DMP collected data of 6.2m people in Dhaka
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Health checkup for Hajj pilgrims begins on June 16
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Holy Eid al-Adha on Aug 12!
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- BJP-TMC clash killed 4 killed in India`s West Bengal
- Class XI admission results published
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- England wins beating Windies
- JS budget session begins today
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BNP’s Rumeen Farhana takes oath
- Che Guevara’s 91st birth anniv today
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held