Vote counting goes on as polls in 166 upazilas end
Published: 09:22 PM, 18 March 2019
Counting of votes started after balloting in 166 upazilas of the country’s 16 districts ended at 4 pm in the second phase of the fifth upazila parishad elections today.
Earlier, the voting started at 8 am in a festive mood and continued peacefully till 4pm uninterruptedly with spontaneous participation of the voters.
Today was a general holiday in the respective upazilas on the occasion of the local body election.
In the second phase, a total of 377 candidates for chairman post, 539 for vice vice-chairman and 394 for women vice-chairman contested the polls.
The districts where polling was held are Thakurgaon, Rangpur, Gaibandha, Dinajpur, Bogura, Naogaon, Pabna, Sylhet, Moulvibazar, Gopalganj, Faridpur, Chattogram, Rangamati, Khagrachhari, Bandarban and Cox’s Bazar.
Meanwhile, 23 chairman, 13 vice-chairman and 12 women vice-chairman have already been elected uncontested in the 2nd phase of upazila polls in absence of any valid candidates to fight against them.
A large number of security personnel, including police, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) and Coast Guard, have been deployed in the election areas since Saturday and they will remain deployed till Wednesday.
A security team comprising of 14-16 members drawn from police, Ansar and VDP was deployed at each polling station today.
Along with law enforcement agencies, army personnel were also deployed in eight upazilas of Khagrachhari, seven upazilas of Bandarban and 10 upazilas of Rangamati for maintaining security in the Hill Track districts.
The first-phase of upazila polls was held on March 10 in 78 upazilas.
Earlier, the EC declared 2nd phase of upazila polls which was held on February 7. The third phase of upazila polls is scheduled to be held on March 24 and the fourth phase on March 31.
The first upazila election was held in 1985, while the following three were held in 1990, 2009 and 2014.
- Heat wave may spread
- World Books and Copyright Day today
- Myanmar top court rejects Reuters journalists` appeal
- Sri Lanka observes 3-min silence for bomb victims
- Updating voter list begins today
- SL blasts: 40 suspects arrested, toll up to 310
- Zayan’s body to reach home tomorrow
- 10 dead, 30 hurt as Nigeria cop rams car into crowd
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- PM returns home today
- Tajikistan to face Mongolia evening
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- 1,650 metres of Padma Bridge now visible
- Murder accused Jabed killed in Ctg gunfight
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Strong earthquake hits central Philippines, killing 5
- Sri Lanka blames Islamists for Easter attacks
- Bangladesh beat UAE by 2-0
- `Not possible to ‘restore’ democracy with Khaleda in jail`
- Shakib stays back in India to play IPL
- Tigers start World Cup preparation with 5 cricketers
- Sufferings due to load-unloading trucks on road
- Walsh tips Fizz for `big role` in World Cup
- RAKUB recovers Taka 200 crore in Boishakhi Mela
- PM calls Brunei to business with Bangladesh
- Garment worker found dead in Shreepur
- Boro farmers face losses in hailstorm
- Sri Lanka imposes curfew again
- Gorillas pose for selfie with DR Congo anti-poaching unit
- PM proposes formation of new regional economic forum
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Adele separates from husband
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- Team Bangladesh on ICC’s fb cover photo