Vote counting goes on as polls in 166 upazilas end
Published: 09:22 PM, 18 March 2019
Counting of votes started after balloting in 166 upazilas of the country’s 16 districts ended at 4 pm in the second phase of the fifth upazila parishad elections today.
Earlier, the voting started at 8 am in a festive mood and continued peacefully till 4pm uninterruptedly with spontaneous participation of the voters.
Today was a general holiday in the respective upazilas on the occasion of the local body election.
In the second phase, a total of 377 candidates for chairman post, 539 for vice vice-chairman and 394 for women vice-chairman contested the polls.
The districts where polling was held are Thakurgaon, Rangpur, Gaibandha, Dinajpur, Bogura, Naogaon, Pabna, Sylhet, Moulvibazar, Gopalganj, Faridpur, Chattogram, Rangamati, Khagrachhari, Bandarban and Cox’s Bazar.
Meanwhile, 23 chairman, 13 vice-chairman and 12 women vice-chairman have already been elected uncontested in the 2nd phase of upazila polls in absence of any valid candidates to fight against them.
A large number of security personnel, including police, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) and Coast Guard, have been deployed in the election areas since Saturday and they will remain deployed till Wednesday.
A security team comprising of 14-16 members drawn from police, Ansar and VDP was deployed at each polling station today.
Along with law enforcement agencies, army personnel were also deployed in eight upazilas of Khagrachhari, seven upazilas of Bandarban and 10 upazilas of Rangamati for maintaining security in the Hill Track districts.
The first-phase of upazila polls was held on March 10 in 78 upazilas.
Earlier, the EC declared 2nd phase of upazila polls which was held on February 7. The third phase of upazila polls is scheduled to be held on March 24 and the fourth phase on March 31.
The first upazila election was held in 1985, while the following three were held in 1990, 2009 and 2014.
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Traffic sergeant’s father files writ for compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- Habits that extremely harmful for liver
- Rain likely to increase, temperature may fall
- Advance train tickets to be sold at 5 spots
- Fire breaks out at CMCH Psychiatry department
- 25 schoolgirls fall sick from laughing too much
- ‘Lion King’ roars as surpassing ‘Avengers’ record
- Ronaldo will not face rape charges
- Critical security flaw found in VLC Player
- Two robbers killed in Sundarbans gunfight
- Large-scale government data hacks in Russia, Bulgaria
- Mehazabien with new story
- Shinzo Abe wins Japan’s upper house poll
- National Public Service Day-2019 today
- Renu lynched in Badda: 2 more held
- Drug peddler killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Suspended ACC director Basir held
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- No cattle hat blocking roads: DMP Commissioner
- Books in hand, fear in mind
- BHBCUC suspends Priya Saha
- Farmers passing busy days in cattle fattening
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- How to get HSC result
- Minni sent to jail
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Humanity for animal !