Virat Kohli named in TIME`s 100 most influential people
Published: 01:59 PM, 21 April 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Indian captain Virat Kohli has been named as one of Time Magazine`s 100 most influential people of 2018 following a stellar season last year in which he had amassed 2818 runs across all formats and slammed 11 centuries.
He led India to the final of the Champions Trophy, ODI series win over England, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Australia, New Zealand and Test series win over Bangladesh, Australia and Sri Lanka (twice).
"TIME`s annual list of the world`s most influential people is a designation of individuals whose time, in our estimation, is now," the magazine said.
Legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar wrote Kohli`s profile in the magazine saying the 29-year-old`s "hunger for runs and consistency" has been remarkable and has become the "hallmark of his game."
Tendulkar recalls the Under-19 World Cup in 2008 where he had watched Kohli lead India. Tendulkar said the Under 19 World Cup was very important for India, as it defines the next bunch of youngsters who would go on to represent the nation.
"That was the first time I watched this young, passionate player lead India. Today, Kohli is a household name and a champion in cricket. Even back then, his hunger for runs and consistency was remarkable, something that has become the hallmark of his game," Tendulkar said of Kohli.
"Virat took the criticism he faced during a disappointing West Indies series and returned home with a goal: to improve not only his technique but also his fitness level. He`s never looked back," Tendulkar noted.
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Study ties unhealthy gums to liver cancer risk
- PM urges int’l bodies to help rehabilitate Rohingyas in Myanmar
- Tamim falls after score fifty
- Court orders to freeze DIG Mizan’s wealth
- Teenager stabbed in capital`s Kadamtali
- Bangladesh loses Soumya early
- Signal 3 for maritime ports
- Australia set Bangladesh 382 to win
- Nusrat murder: charges formed, testimonies Jun 27
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5