Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
Published: 03:16 PM, 29 November 2019
Chinese-owned video app TikTok says it has unblocked a U.S. teenager and restored her viral video condemning China's treatment of its Muslim minority.
The video was removed for 50 minutes on Wednesday due to a "human moderation error," according to a statement from Eric Han, an American who heads TikTok's U.S. content-moderation team. The site's guidelines don't preclude the video's content, Han said.
TikTok is popular with millions of U.S. teens and young adults but several U.S. senators have raised concerns about data collection and censorship on the site of content not in line with the Chinese government. The U.S. government has reportedly launched a national-security review of the site.
The 40-second video, which news reports identified as the work of 17-year-old Feroza Aziz of New Jersey, starts off as an innocuous tutorial on how to get long eyelashes.
It then segues into an appeal for viewers to inform themselves of plight of the Muslim minority in China. "This is another Holocaust, yet no one is talking about it," Aziz says.
China is estimated to have detained up to 1 million minority Muslims Uighurs in prisonlike detention centers. China's government insists the detention sites are "vocational" centers aimed at training and skills development. It has sharply criticized Western countries that called for an end to mass arbitrary detentions and other abuses of Uighurs and other Muslims in the Xinjiang region.
TikTok has said its data is not subject to Chinese law and that it does not remove content based on "sensitivities related to China."
Han said Aziz was locked out of her account because of an earlier video she posted featured a photo of Osama bin-Laden, which violated polices against imagery related to terrorist figures.
Aziz asked rhetorically on Twitter if she believed she was blocked after posting the video about Uighurs because of the unrelated earlier "satirical" video. "No," she said.
- 4 marine academies to be launched this year
- Seven-morning tasks will keep you refresh for daylong
- ‘BNP conspiring sensing defeat in city polls’
- British Airways canceled all flights to China
- Zimbabwe consolidate lead after Raza`s seven
- Govt forms 7 committees to guard rice market
- Stronger effort need to rein child death in country: Study
- Rickshaw driver killed in Sunamganj road crash
- Apple delivers best-ever quarter, powered by iPhones, services
- 4 BIHT students expelled over ragging
- 1390 mt onion arrived from Myanmar in one day
- Free sewing training to 100 women in Faridpur
- 6 held with yaba in Capital
- Question leak clique member held in Kushtia
- Bangladesh takes on South Africa U-19 tomorrow
- BPL begins on 13 February
- Mushfiq to miss BCL first round
- Australian scientists first to recreate ‘Coronavirus’
- CMH transplants bone marrow first time
- PM urges FFs to tell country’s Liberation War history to youths
- RAB detained 2 with drugs
- Car loaded 576 can beer seized in capital, 2 arrested
- ‘History of Bangladesh Rock: The Legacy of Azam Khan’
- Govt ready to bring Bangladeshis trapped in China’
- HC for recruit 117 doctors in prison hospitals
- Allama Azhar Ali Anwar Shah dies
- 57 kg weed seized in Ashuganj, arrested 2
- 1 arrested with Yaba-heroin in Mohadevpur
- Man gets death for killing wife in Kushtia
- Salma to lead Tigress in T20I World Cup
- All News »
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin fare Tk 15,000!
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Rohingya killing resumed defying ICJ order
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Coronavirus death toll climbs to 106
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Basketball legend Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- Tambadu: The man who stands beside distress Rohingya
- Evaly accused of cheating over online offers
- ‘Jamalpur Express’ to be launched tomorrow
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- 3 US crew killed in Australia firefighting plane crash
- 2 Bangladeshis receive Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri awards in India
- China lies over coronavirus infected, it topped .9 million!
- ‘Coronavirus will not enter Bangladesh’
- Bangladesh meet Pakistan in 3rd T20 today