Victory day for democracy on Friday
Published: 08:15 PM, 4 January 2018 Updated: 11:30 AM, 5 January 2018
The ruling Awami league will observed `Victory Day for Democracy` on Friday across the country amid different programmes. On this day in 2014, Awami legue won the 10th national election for the second consecutive and overall third times.
AL Presidium Member and Health and Family Welfare Minister Mohammed Nasim said,"Democracy in Bangladesh achieved victory through the January 5 election. If the election was not held on that day, martial law would have been imposed,"
He said Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had brought democracy on that day in the country overcoming all conspiracies and impediments. "That is why we observe Victory Day for Democracy on January 5," he added.
Awami League Joint General Secretary Mahbub-ul Alam Hanif said the government has ensured the people`s democratic rights. "Any scope of taking over power unconstitutionally has been stopped through the election and it ensured the process that elected persons would run the country," he added.
He said BNP controlled by Jamaat-Shibir wanted to grab power in an unconstitutional way. BNP along with anti-liberation forces wanted to push the country towards the darkness but the people will never allow them to do that, he added.
According to Awami League leaders, the January 5 election is milestone to the progress of the country as it eased the way of completing the trial of crimes against humanity, and different mega development projects like Padma Bridge, metro rail, Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant, Rampal Power Plant, Karnafully tunnel, Payra Seaport, Sonadia deep seaport, Railway project from Dohajari to Cox`s Bazar via Ramu and from Ramu to Gumdum, and 100 special economic zones.
Awami League and other pro-liberation political parties and social organizations have chalked out elaborate programmes to observe the day in a befitting manner across the country. The programmes include holding rallies and processions at district, city and upazila levels.
As part of the central programmes, AL Dhaka North unit will organize a rally and a victory procession in Gulshan- Banani area at 3 pm while AL Dhaka South unit will hold identical programmes at Bangabandhu Avenue.
In a statement, AL General Secretary and Minister for Road Transport and Bridges Obaidul Quader called upon all units of the party and associated organizations to observe all programmes of the day.
He also urged the people of all strata to celebrate the Day of Victory for Democracy in a festive environment.
- Greta slams `misleading` climate pledges at chaotic UN summit
- Afif seeks tips from Russell to be good power-hitter
- Six dead in hours-long New York-area shootout
- Momen leaves for India tomorrow
- Minority people are living in peace: Quader
- Three motorcycles suddenly on ablaze in front of High Court
- Avijit Roy killing: Court summons Bonya Dec 30
- BRAC, NF to build 50 learning centers for Rohingya children
- Dhaka pushes for support to deal with climate change
- Suu Kyi titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Govt works to increase trade ties with Belarus: Commerce Minister
- Myanmar people calling Suu Kyi a liar
- Premier Chess: Saif SC, Bangladesh Police maintain their lead
- Eat 2 Dates every day
- Access barred to National Memorial from Dec 12 to 15
- Cumilla starts BBPL with 105-run win
- ‘All registered parties should include ‘Joy Bangla’ slogan’
- Law enforcers will offset violence: Quader
- Kamal for low-cost net connections in Asia-Pacific region
- Bangladeshi among 5 killed in Saudi road accident
- US-Bangla Airlines with `Evelly Celluloid 71`
- 2 women detained with weed
- Mushy vows to keep up his good form in BBPL
- DNCC gets waste management system in 18 wards
- UGC orders all public universities to shut evening courses
- Internet blackout in Assam after Tripura
- Keraniganj factory fire under control, 1 dies
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Suu Kyi
- 10 killed in Somalia hotel attack
- Khoka, Selim Osman elected JaPa’s Presidium Members
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- E-passport within 3 days!
- Storm over new black hole issue
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash