Victory day for democracy on Friday
Published: 08:15 PM, 4 January 2018 Updated: 11:30 AM, 5 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The ruling Awami league will observed `Victory Day for Democracy` on Friday across the country amid different programmes. On this day in 2014, Awami legue won the 10th national election for the second consecutive and overall third times.
AL Presidium Member and Health and Family Welfare Minister Mohammed Nasim said,"Democracy in Bangladesh achieved victory through the January 5 election. If the election was not held on that day, martial law would have been imposed,"
He said Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had brought democracy on that day in the country overcoming all conspiracies and impediments. "That is why we observe Victory Day for Democracy on January 5," he added.
Awami League Joint General Secretary Mahbub-ul Alam Hanif said the government has ensured the people`s democratic rights. "Any scope of taking over power unconstitutionally has been stopped through the election and it ensured the process that elected persons would run the country," he added.
He said BNP controlled by Jamaat-Shibir wanted to grab power in an unconstitutional way. BNP along with anti-liberation forces wanted to push the country towards the darkness but the people will never allow them to do that, he added.
According to Awami League leaders, the January 5 election is milestone to the progress of the country as it eased the way of completing the trial of crimes against humanity, and different mega development projects like Padma Bridge, metro rail, Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant, Rampal Power Plant, Karnafully tunnel, Payra Seaport, Sonadia deep seaport, Railway project from Dohajari to Cox`s Bazar via Ramu and from Ramu to Gumdum, and 100 special economic zones.
Awami League and other pro-liberation political parties and social organizations have chalked out elaborate programmes to observe the day in a befitting manner across the country. The programmes include holding rallies and processions at district, city and upazila levels.
As part of the central programmes, AL Dhaka North unit will organize a rally and a victory procession in Gulshan- Banani area at 3 pm while AL Dhaka South unit will hold identical programmes at Bangabandhu Avenue.
In a statement, AL General Secretary and Minister for Road Transport and Bridges Obaidul Quader called upon all units of the party and associated organizations to observe all programmes of the day.
He also urged the people of all strata to celebrate the Day of Victory for Democracy in a festive environment.
- Major General dismissed for sexual harassment
- Massive cyberattack; List of affected websites
- Issues that will be discussed during Jayashankar’s visit
- Gibraltar rejects US request
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Marium, a lovely animal dies after eating plastic
- New Indonesian capital to be in Jungle?
- How to cook meat faster
- Tourists unhappy over Teknaf`s odor-pollution
- Fatima: The Wonder Lady!
- Rail links with Khulna snapped
- Maududist modern era devil: Agriculture Minister
- ‘Blood Bank of Kaliganj’ saved thousand lives
- ‘Mayaboti’ release date scheduled
- Dressing room rift misinterpreted in media: Mahmudullah
- Humayun for all-side interest on rawhide issue
- Tannery owners to buy rawhide form tomorrow
- JKS for transport workers’ fixed work hrs rein road accident
- How long should Kashmiris wait for peace?
- JnU’s Olympiad winner dies
- Day laborer Dalip Singh became ‘Great Khali’
- Shirin Sharmin to join South Asian Speakers’ Summit
- 1 day after buying bike, youth killed in accident
- Happy birthday Mia Bhai
- Serious health risk in handling taka: research reveals
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Cumilla road crash: 6 of a family among deceased
- Jumps from boat get a divorce!
- DMP files 4,780 cases over traffic violations
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- `Our prayer for abolition of evil power`
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- 8 births recorded during Hajj 2019
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Kashmir outposts divided over status change
- 2 dead, 3 missing after boat sinks in Jamuna