Victory Day today
Published: 12:58 PM, 16 December 2019 Updated: 02:03 PM, 16 December 2019
Today is 16th December, Great Victory Day, an unforgettable day of Bengali nation’s heroism of thousands of years. After a nine0month long War of Liberation, Bangladesh has placed itself in the map of the globe in 1971 by defeating Pakistani invaders. Defeated Pakistan troops had surrendered at the Race Course Ground (present Suhrawardy Udyan) in Dhaka on 16th December afternoon after the bloody liberation war. General Amir Abdullah Khan Niazi signed a surrender document on behalf of Pakistan. The ultimate victory emerged from the independent state of Bangladesh on this day.
Extensive programs have been undertaken at the government-private level to celebrate the 48th anniversary of the victory.
On the occasion, President Md. Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina have given the messages. Apart from greeting and congratulating the people of Victory Day in separate messages, they recalled with deep respect the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mojibur Rahman, the sacrifices of the countless freedom fighters, martyrs and women who lost honor to the Pak invaders.
On January 22, 1972, the government declared it as National Victory Day. Since that year, the day has been celebrated statewide. At the same time, the day was declared a holiday. Hoisting the national flag in all public, semi-government, autonomous and private buildings; Important buildings and buildings of the government have been decorated with illumination, the main roads and highways of Dhaka and different cities of the country have been decorated with national flags and other flags.
This year, Victory Day is being celebrated in a different context. On Sunday, the government released a list of anti-independence Razakar, Al Badar and Al-Shams. The list is partial, but it is a big step by the government. Through this series, the nation will be able to identify the opposition in its liberation war.
Today the country rejoicing in victory, the nation is overjoyed. Starting from the capital Dhaka, the joy of victory is spreading to remote areas too. To celebrate the Great Victory Day with due dignity, a massive program has been taken at the national level.
Immediately after sunrise, the President Md. Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina pay tribute to the martyrs in the Great War by giving a floral wreath at the National Memorial in Savar.
People from all walks including different political and social organizations, foreign diplomats living in Bangladesh also pay tribute to the martyrs of the Great War of Liberation with flowers.
Newspapers highlighting the significance of the day have published special booklets. Bangladesh Television, Bangladesh Radio and different electronic media are broadcasting special programs. Various social and cultural organizations including Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy, Bangla Academy, National Museum, Liberation War Museum, Bangladesh Shishu Academy are holding liberation war-based discussions, cultural events, children's painting, and composition competitions and various exhibitions based on the War of Liberation.
In addition, freedom fighters and martyred family members are welcomed in the metropolis, districts, and upazilas.
Special prayers and Dua have been arranged in mosques, temples, churches, pagodas and religious institutions, seeking peace, prosperity, and progress in the country. Serving quality food at orphanages, hospitals, prisons, public children's institutions, and all children's parks and museums in the country will be kept open for free access.
Apart from this, a spectacular march was held at the National Parade Square at Tejgaon Old Airport at 10:30 am. The President has visited the march and received the salute as the chief guest. The Prime Minister was also present at the march.
On the occasion of Victory Day, the Prime Minister will unveil the postal commemorative postage stamp at Ganabhaban on Monday afternoon at 3:00 pm. She will also attend the President's reception at Bangabhaban on the occasion of Victory Day at 3:30 pm.
- Four poppy fields destroyed in Bandarban
- Sportsman of the year Ruman Sana, Cricketer Shakib
- Continuity of government made Bangladesh’s uplift visible: PM
- Jr Tigers becomes ‘C’ group champion
- Volleyball tournament in Sherpur on Mujib Year
- Trump to sign US-Mexico-Canada trade deal
- China shut down 13 cities as virus toll climbs
- Thai Exim Bank, JBIC keen to invest Bangladesh sugar mills
- Main accused of Sabujbagh child-rape case arrested
- What Mahmudullah said after losing to Pakistan
- UK welcomes ICJ ruling, asks Myanmar to comply
- ‘Dwitiyo Purush’ expected to release in Bangladesh
- ‘Occupied playground will be restored’
- Technical education to be compulsory
- Woman dies wrapping warm-clothes with auto
- ICJ’s verdict important: Nasima Begum
- `Steps will be taken to increase onion production`
- Merchant killed in Bogura, 1 arrested
- Cricket tournament in Meherpur on Mujib Year
- Elderly Body found in Sylhet
- Mimi got stuck in oil ad
- USA crackdown visas for pregnant foreigners
- 3 drug dealers fined in Mujibnagar
- Man dies fallen from petrol pump roof in Ashulia
- Bangladesh starts Pakistan tour with loss
- BNP, the worst opposition party: Quader
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- DU to host special convocation for Bangabandhu Sep 5
- Katrina, Vicky chill together
- Anti-US demonstration protest in Iraq
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- E-passport to be launched today
- DMP’s letter to EC to keep close trade fair for 2 days
- ‘Law enforcers will work under EC directives’
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack