Victory Day for Democracy today
Published: 10:58 AM, 5 January 2018 Updated: 06:36 PM, 5 January 2018
The Victory Day for Democracy observing today across the country amid different programmes marking the January 5 election in 2014 as it helped continue the democratic and constitutional process.
Bangladesh Awami League (AL), the party which successfully led the nation`s War of Liberation, won the 10th Jatiya Sangsad elections on that day and formed the government for the third time.
AL Presidium Member and Health and Family Welfare Minister Mohammed Nasim said, "Democracy in Bangladesh achieved victory through the January 5 election. If the election was not held on that day, martial law would have been imposed."
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had brought democracy on that day in the country overcoming all conspiracies and impediments, he added. The minister said, "That is why we observe Victory Day for Democracy on January 5.".
Awami League Joint General Secretary Mahbub-ul Alam Hanif said the government has ensured the people`s democratic rights. "Any scope of taking over power unconstitutionally has been stopped through the election and it ensured the process that elected persons would run the country," he added.
Awami League and other pro-liberation political parties and social organizations have chalked out elaborate programmes to observe the day in a befitting manner across the country. The programmes include holding rallies and processions at district, city and upazila levels.
As part of the central programmes, AL Dhaka North unit will organize a rally and a victory procession in Gulshan- Banani area at 3 pm while AL Dhaka South unit will hold identical programmes at Bangabandhu Avenue.
In a statement, AL General Secretary and Minister for Road Transport and Bridges Obaidul Quader called upon all units of the party and associated organizations to observe all programmes of the day.
He also urged the people of all strata to celebrate the Day of Victory for Democracy in a festive environment.
Earlier, on June 30 in 2011, the 15th Amendment Bill was passed in the Jatiya Sangsad repealing the provision for caretaker of government. The then main opposition BNP and its allies launched a movement demanding that the provision of the caretaker government during the polls be reinstated.
Centring the January 5 national polls of 2014, the BNP-Jamaat combine created unprecedented anarchy throughout the country unleashing vandalism, destruction, killing, subversive acts in the name of non-stop siege and hartal programmes.
In a bid to thwart the national polls, the BNP-Jamaat alliance created panic by killing people, setting ablaze buses-trains, derailing trains by removing fish plates while its armed cadres set ablaze 111 polling centres, chopped off a polling officer and few other poll officials, snatched away election materials, blasted petrol bombs a day before the polls.
But braving intimidation and threat on their lives, some 42 percent people exercised their franchise in the polls to the 10th Jatiya Sangsad for the sake of continuation of the constitutional democratic practice in the country. The BNP-Jamaat combine wanted to jeopardise the national polls unleashing terrorism, intimidation and widespread anarchy ostensibly for installing another 1/11 like undemocratic government.
Facing a stiff challenge and widespread anarchy, the government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina restored peace with improvement of law and order across the country through holding of the national polls that cleared the way for continuation of democracy.
Awami League bagged 234 seats in the JS polls, Jatiya Party (Ershad) got 34 seats and Awami League`s allies like Workers Party secured six seats while Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD) won five seats and constituted the Awami League-led alliance government on January 12 in 2014.
- Mobile cinema brings movie magic to Syria Kurd children
- ‘Take me away from here, they’ll kill me’
- Record 19,461 tons groundnut produced in Rangpur
- Ashkona raid: Probe report Oct 9
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- 5 Natural Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Away
- Momen-Jaishankar meeting begins
- Pirate killed in Pekua gunfight
- Fun facts about mosquitoes
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- World Mosquito Day today
- 13 Chinese killed as tour bus crashes in Laos
- Ajax to face Apoel in CL play-off
- No bar to publish 9th wage board gazette
- Two killed in Debidwar road crash
- Momen-Jaishankar meeting today
- Bir Sreshtho Matiur Rahman’s 48 martyr anniv today
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- PM to inaugurate `Gangchil` on Thursday
- Empty classrooms as some schools re-open in Kashmir
- Easy loan for idea innovators
- Peya Bipasha in new film
- Huawei gets 90 more days
- Man commits suicide after being raped in Gazipur
- Aklima`s husband & father-in-law dies
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- Indian foreign minister Jaishankar in Dhaka
- Dolphins goes extinct day by day
- BFF set to start world cup practice on Friday
- 5% VAT on ride-sharing companies
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- App launches to prevent dengue
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- Kashmir outposts divided over status change
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Lawyer killed in Cumilla road crash
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again