Verdict in killing of Freedom Fighter Atiq today
Published: 12:13 PM, 2 December 2020 Updated: 01:09 PM, 2 December 2020
Freedom Fighter Atiq Ullah Chowdhury; File Photo
The verdict in the murder case of Atiq Ullah Chowdhury, chairman of Konda UP in Dhaka’s Keraniganj upazila and convener of the then Awami League, will be announced around 12:00 pm on Wednesday.
Judge Abu Zafar Md. Kamruzzaman of Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 will announce the verdict.
Saidur Rahman Faruk Chowdhury, chairman of Konda UP in Dhaka’s Keraniganj upazila and the plaintiff in the case, said his father was premeditatedly killed due to vocal against land grabbers.
He added that after a long seven years, there is going to be a verdict in the murder case. “We have full confidence and trust in the court. The people of Konda UP want the maximum punishment of death penalty to the accused,” Saidur Rahman Faruk Chowdhury, son of Atiq Ullah Chowdhury, said.
Meanwhile, the state wants the maximum punishment for the accused. About this, Special Public Prosecutor of the court Md. Abu Abdullah Bhuiyan said, “The prosecution had been able to prove the allegations against the accused. We expect the death penalty for the accused in the verdict.”
According to the case, Atiq Ullah Chowdhury, a heroic Freedom Fighter and a UP chairman, went missing on 10 December 2013. The next day, on 11 December, police recovered his mutilated body from the side of a hospital in the Doleshwar area of South Keraniganj. Later, Saidur Rahman Faruk Chowdhury, son of the deceased, identified the body by looking at the papers and ATM card with him.
Saidur Rahman Faruk Chowdhury (current chairman of Konda UP) filed the case with South Keraniganj Police Station on 12 December 2013. The accused in the case are – Gulzar Hossain, Shampa, Ashiq, Shihab Ahmed alias Shibu, Ahsanul Kabir Emon, Tajul Islam Tanu, Jahangir Khan alias Jahangir and Rafiqul Islam alias Amin alias Tunda Amin.
Among the accused, Shampa, Jahangir and Ahsanul Kabir are in jail. The court rejected their bail on 10 August and ordered them to be sent to jail. The other accused are absconding.
After investigating the case, the police filed a chargesheet against 8 on 31 January 2015. Then on 2 July of the same year, the court framed charges against the accused and ordered the trial to begin. Then on 10 September, the arguments of the state and the accused ended. During the trial, the court took the testimony of 11 out of 21 witnesses.