Myanmar genocide case: ICJ to rule on emergency measures Jan 23
Published: 11:20 AM, 15 January 2020 Updated: 02:14 PM, 15 January 2020
The International Court of Justice (ICJ), the top court of United Nations (UN), is set to issue a decision on a request for emergency measures in a genocide case against Myanmar on January 23.
The Gambian Ministry of Justice confirmed the information on Twitter on Monday.
However, the ICJ - sometimes known as the world court which normally rules on disputes between states - did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Gambia, a tiny, mainly Muslim West African nation, filed the lawsuit in November last year after winning the support of the Organisation for Islamic Cooperation (OIC), alleging Myanmar was committing “an ongoing genocide” against its Muslim-minority Rohingya people.
The country has accused Myanmar of violating the 1948 Genocide Convention in a military campaign that expelled more than 730,000 Rohingya from the country. The country asked the ICJ to order “provisional measures” to prevent more harm, a first step in a legal case that is expected to go on for years.
In December last, State Counsellor of Myanmar Aung San Suu Kyi Reuters travelled to The Hague to defend her country against the charges. She denied that genocide was taking place and said the court has no jurisdiction to hear the case.
In its filing, Gambia has said Myanmar cannot be trusted to bring alleged military perpetrators of crimes against the Rohingya to justice. It has asked the court to order provisional measures for Myanmar to stop its forces committing “all acts that amount to or contribute to the crime of genocide” against the Rohingya including killing, rape and destruction of homes and villages.
The Gambia also asked judges to order Myanmar to ensure any evidence of atrocities is preserved.
- 5 members of Ansarullah Bangla Team held
- Jibon crushed to death under Nilachal
- 6 killed as microbus carrying wedding party hits roadside tree
- Two held in Paltan with 10,000 Yaba
- 3 drug dealer held with 404 bottles Phensedyl
- Corona death toll may hit 40,000 in London
- BNP continues its unannounced war against court: Quader
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 21 in Italy
- Digital Banking Fair in Noakhali
- Azan in Mike consented in US city
- Finally US, Taliban to sign peace deal
- Puja Cherry’s crush married another Puja
- Mongolian president, foreign minister under quarantine
- Youths will create employment opportunities now
- Mugger pulled bag, woman dies falling from rickshaw
- 100 million people to get 100 services in Mujib Borsho
- ‘No sustainable development possible without quality education’
- Temperature likely to rise
- 20 bus travelers killed in collision with train
- Coronavirus death toll surges past 200 in Iran
- Tigress confirm World Cup exit in hat-trick loss
- February 29: A rare day of calendar
- Today’s sports on TV
- 3 killed as bus ditched in Cumilla
- Robber killed in Moulvibazar gunfight
- A Hindu bride weds in Muslim neighbourhood amid Delhi violence
- First British coronavirus death confirmed
- WHO declares `highest alert` over coronavirus outbreak
- Political uncertenity grows in Malaysia
- England secures comfortable victory over Pakistan
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Investigation underway on those involved with Papiya: HM
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Newly-elected Dhaka mayors Taposh, Atiqul take oath
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Delhi violence: Death toll rises to 34
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Saudi suspends entry for Umrah over coronavirus
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- Chaos over mobile theft in Soumya’s wed
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation