Venezuela to expel German ambassador
Published: 10:35 PM, 6 March 2019 Updated: 10:55 PM, 6 March 2019
Venezuela's government said on Wednesday it had expelled the German ambassador for interfering in the country's internal affairs, two days after the diplomat welcomed opposition leader Juan Guaido at Caracas airport.
President Nicolas Maduro's government said Ambassador Daniel Kriener had 48 hours to leave Venezuela and accused him of violating international diplomatic norms, though it did not detail the actions that led to his expulsion.
"Venezuela considers it unacceptable that a foreign diplomat carries out in its territory a public role closer to that of a political leader aligned with the conspiratorial agenda of extremist sectors of the Venezuelan opposition," the government said in a statement.
A German foreign ministry spokeswoman confirmed Venezuela had expelled the ambassador.
Kriener, along with ambassadors and diplomats from other European embassies, had gone to the airport on Monday to support Guaido, who had risked arrest on his return to Venezuela for flouting a court-imposed travel ban to visit other Latin American countries.
Most Western nations, including Germany, recognize Guaido as Venezuela's legitimate head-of-state and back his plan to install a transition government ahead of free elections. Guaido denounces Maduro as an usurper whose re-election last year resulted from a sham vote. Maduro says he is victim of a coup.
The German embassy did not immediately respond to a request for comment on his expulsion.
On Monday, the embassy said on its Twitter account that Kriener hoped Guaido's return "was a step towards a peaceful and political process to overcome the Venezuelan crisis."
- Samrat put on 10-day remand
- K-pop star Sulli found dead
- US imposes sanctions on Turkey over Syria attack
- Weather may remain mainly dry
- Robber ringleader killed in Habiganj gunfight
- 5 Gaibandha Razakars get death penalty
- Army chief goes to Qatar on official visit
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- 13 police killed in cartel ambush in Mexico
- FIFA WC Qualifiers: Bangladesh face India today
- 4 including ‘Aminur Bahini’ chief killed in gunfight
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars today
- Neymar out for four weeks say PSG
- Syrian army heads north after Kurdish deal
- Alive baby girl found inside grave!
- Boundary count scrapped as tie-breaker in ICC events
- Zimbabwe, Nepal reinstated as Members of ICC
- Use smartphone without harming your eyes
- Bangladesh security team to visit Pakistan this week
- Drink water to get lifetime beauty
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Bangladesh Women’s A concedes T20 series to India
- PM for quick disposal of Abrar murder case
- Moushumi assaulted at BFDC
- French politicians asking to cancel France-Turkey match over salute
- Feeling responsible for the country: Torsa
- Protests outside Salman Khan’s house
- Facebook taking money to promote lies!
- Robi offers 10 pc special discount
- Rule to recommend 74 BCS appointed teachers as Gazetted Officer
- All News »
- Unseen ‘Miss World Bangladesh’ Rafah
- Abrar murder: First confession by Ifti
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Abrar murder: BUET students place 8-point demand
- Zion gives 2nd confessional statement in Abrar murder case
- Abrar murder: 9 BCL men held, case filed against 19
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Sabila Nur gets married this month
- Abrar’s roommate Mizan held
- Abrar laid to rest
- Abrar murder: Amit, Toha on 5-day remand
- 3 including Indian national win Nobel Prize in Economics
- Execrable ‘Hope Diamond’
- Abrar Murder: Amit Shaha of room-2011 held
- The king who rose from the dead
- Abrar murder: 10 accused remanded for five days
- Bangladesh becomes role model in disaster management: PM
- MBBS admission test today
- Buet students place fresh 10-point demand
- A tale of Titanic survivor Elsie Bowerman
- The female Pharaoh who ruled by wearing false beards
- BUET VC at campus in students protest
- China`s first polar observation satellite supports polar research
- Typhoon Hagibis: 11 killed in Japan
- Uighur abuse: US blacklists 28 China organisations
- Swedish King removes grandchildren from royal house
- The lake that turns life to stone!
- S.Africa court rules Zuma must face corruption trial
- Bangladesh face Qatar in FIFA WC Qualifying
- Abrar murder case hands over to DB