Venezuela down Argentina on Messi return
Published: 10:58 AM, 23 March 2019 Updated: 12:44 PM, 23 March 2019
Argentina suffered a shock 3-1 defeat to Venezuela on Friday as Lionel Messi made his first international appearance since the 2018 World Cup.
Barcelona star Messi started the fixture following a self-imposed eight-month exile in which he missed six friendlies since the tournament in Russia, which they exited in the last 16 at the hands of eventual champions France.
Salomon Rondon and Jhon Murillo gave Venezuela a two-goal advantage at the break.
Argentina forward Lautaro Martinez halved the deficit before Josef Martine scored from the spot to claim the spoils in the friendly played at Atletico Madrid’s Wanda Metropolitano stadium.
Messi’s 129th cap started poorly as Newcastle forward Rondon controlled a long ball before hammering home a half-volley past Argentine goalkeeper Franco Armani.
The pick of the goals came as 23-year-old Murillo scored for only a third time in 17 internationals.
He received the ball on the corner of the box, was given plenty of space by the Albiceleste defence and the winger fired home powerfully past Armani with a minute left of the first half
Argentina’s Martinez gave his side some hope on the hour mark as Messi found Giovanni Lo Celso who played in the Inter forward to finish.
Rafael Dudamel’s side, ranked 32nd in the world, claimed a third after Martinez was tripped in the box.
The Atlanta United attacker skipped up to take the penalty, sending Armani the wrong way to score with 15 minutes remaining.
Next up for Messi’s Argentina is a friendly against Morocco in Tangier on Tuesday as they prepare for this year’s Copa America, held in Brazil between June-July.
- `Not possible to ‘restore’ democracy with Khaleda in jail`
- Shakib stays back in India to play IPL
- Tigers start World Cup preparation with 5 cricketers
- Sufferings due to load-unloading trucks on road
- Walsh tips Fizz for `big role` in World Cup
- RAKUB recovers Taka 200 crore in Boishakhi Mela
- PM calls Brunei to business with Bangladesh
- Garment worker found dead in Shreepur
- Boro farmers face losses in hailstorm
- Sri Lanka imposes curfew again
- Gorillas pose for selfie with DR Congo anti-poaching unit
- PM proposes formation of new regional economic forum
- Asghar, Hamid included in AFG World Cup squad
- Worsen condition of comedians
- Magical Benefits of Aloe Vera for Hair, Skin & Health
- Two Rohingya drug traders killed in gunfight
- College admission begins from May 12
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- 19 killed in Colombia mudslide
- Google celebrates Earth Day with Doodle
- Heat wave may continue
- Shahenur, torched by husband, dies
- Padma Bridge: 11th span to be installed tomorrow
- Curfew lifted after Sri Lankan bombings
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Bangladesh, Brunei ink 7 instruments
- 4 kg gold recovered from Dhaka Airport toilet
- Bangladeshi youth gunned down by BSF
- Two killed in gas explosion, wall blown away
- Comedian wins Ukrainian presidency by landslide
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- New identity of Porimoni
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- PM gives job to Nusrat’s brother
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims