Van hits pedestrians in Canada, killed 10
Published: 09:38 AM, 24 April 2018
10 people were killed after a man drove a van into pedestrians in Toronto
At least 10 people were killed and 15 others injured after a man drove a van into pedestrians along a busy Yonge Street in Canadian city Toronto on Monday afternoon (local time).
Witnesses described seeing the vehicle swerve to deliberately hit pedestrians, leaving a pushchair "split in half" and hitting people sitting on a bench.
A man was later arrested after a tense stand-off with armed police, during which video footage showed him telling officers he had a gun and shouting: "Shoot me in the head".
The suspect has been named by police as Alek Minassian, a 25-year-old student.
Toronto deputy police chief Peter Yuen asked for witnesses to come forward and said there would be "a long investigation". He said separate hotlines had been set up for victims` families and for witnesses.
City police chief Mark Saunders told a news conference that the incident appeared to be deliberate but the motive was still unknown. He said Alek Minassian, from the Toronto suburb of Richmond Hill, was not previously known to them.
Canadian public safety minister Ralph Goodale, in a tweet thanking the emergency services, referred to the incident as a "horrific attack".
Reza Hashemi, who owns a video shop on Yonge Street, said he heard screaming on the other side of the road. He said a white rental van had repeatedly mounted the pavement and run into people.
Van rental company Ryder System Inc confirmed that one of its vehicles was involved and said it was co-operating with authorities.
The incident occurred at Yonge Street and Finch Avenue at 13:30 local time (17:30 GMT) on Monday. The crime scene encompassed a 2km (1.24 mile) stretch of Yonge Street.
About 18 miles (30km) away in the city centre, foreign ministers of the G7 leading industrialised nations - Canada, the US, Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Japan - were holding meetings.
Pictures apparently taken at the scene showed armed police and paramedics treating the injured. One orange bag, which appeared to contain a body, was loaded on to an ambulance.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted from Ottawa: "Our thoughts are with all those affected by the terrible incident at Yonge and Finch in Toronto."
"Thank you to the first responders working at the scene - we`re monitoring the situation closely."
- No wage cut for cricketers, BCB to pay full salaries
- Vaccine for COVID-19 tested in mice
- Bancharampur govt officer tested negative for coronavirus
- 2500 Bangladeshis stuck in India will return after lockdown
- UNO appears with foods after tokai’s phone
- Hanging body recovered of a boy in Habiganj
- Maleque for action against shut clinics
- Comedian Eddie Large dies after contracting COVID-19
- Bangladesh will be Asia’s highest economic growth nation: ADB
- Adequate foodstuffs reserved in the country: Quader
- Alamgir’s 70th birthday today
- Rakib’s horrific deposition of killing wife-children like Hindi drama
- Cricketer Salma distributes food of whole week to 60 families
- Woman gives birth newborn in ‘autorickshaw’
- Little Messi’s amazing video
- Magura patient dies in isolation
- US nurses protest over corona protective scarcity
- BCB announces monetary support for employees
- DMP spraying germicide to curb coronavirus
- 1 killed as truck overturned into ditch
- China to ban eating cats and dogs
- Corona test begins in Barishal tomorrow
- Coronavirus could be under control by late April
- Coronavirus: 150 bodies recovered from streets in Ecuador
- Five new signs of coronavirus infection found!
- Rain likely at many places
- No new death from coronavirus: Health Minister
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Over 1 million people infected with coronavirus
- National Film Day today
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- England plans to return field by early May
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- N Korea fires missiles amid coronavirus outbreak
- I’m sorry, some people will die: Brazil’s President
- Thai King self-isolates with harem of 20 women!
- 5 killed, 11 injured as truck falls into ditch in Tangail