Uber dealt blow by EU court ruling that it is transport service
Published: 08:56 PM, 20 December 2017 Updated: 04:56 PM, 26 December 2017
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Ride-hailing app Uber provides a transport service and can be regulated like traditional taxis, the European Union`s top court said on Wednesday in a landmark ruling that will determine the rules Uber and its rivals have to respect in Europe.
"The service provided by Uber connecting individuals with non-professional drivers is covered by services in the field of transport," the European Court of Justice (ECJ) said.
"Member states can, therefore, regulate the conditions for providing that service," it said.
Uber - which has clashed with local and national regulators in Europe since its launch there six years ago - had argued it was simply a digital app that acted as an intermediary between drivers and customers looking for a ride and so ought to fall under lighter EU rules for online services.
The case follows a complaint from a professional taxi drivers` association in Barcelona that Uber`s activities in Spain amounted to misleading practices and unfair competition from Uber`s use of non-professional drivers - a service Uber calls UberPOP.
The ECJ said Uber "exercises decisive influence over the conditions under which the drivers provide their service" and that without the Uber mobile app "persons who wish to make an urban journey would not use the services provided by those drivers."
The ruling is not likely to have an immediate impact on Uber`s operations in Europe, where it already operates under local transportation laws and has cut back its use of unlicensed services such as UberPOP.
"This ruling will not change things in most EU countries where we already operate under transportation law," an Uber spokeswoman said in a statement.
under transportation law," an Uber spokeswoman said in a statement.
"As our new CEO has said, it is appropriate to regulate services such as Uber and so we will continue the dialogue with cities across Europe. This is the approach we’ll take to ensure everyone can get a reliable ride at the tap of a button."
The Silicon Valley giant is in the middle of a legal battle over its right to operate in London, its most important European market.
- ‘Blood Bank of Kaliganj’ saved thousand lives
- ‘Mayaboti’ release date scheduled
- Dressing room rift misinterpreted in media: Mahmudullah
- Humayun for all-side interest on rawhide issue
- Tannery owners to buy rawhide form tomorrow
- JKS for transport workers’ fixed work hrs rein road accident
- How long should Kashmiris wait for peace?
- JnU’s Olympiad winner dies
- Day laborer Dalip Singh became ‘Great Khali’
- Shirin Sharmin to join South Asian Speakers’ Summit
- 1 day after buying bike, youth killed in accident
- Happy birthday Mia Bhai
- Serious health risk in handling taka: research reveals
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Cumilla road crash: 6 of a family among deceased
- Jumps from boat get a divorce!
- DMP files 4,780 cases over traffic violations
- Tk 120 cr allotted for flood recovery
- Writ seeking HC order to find out culprits in rawhide fall
- Man killed in Dhaka road crash
- How to advance in career when your boss won’t help
- Action against bribe payer too: PM
- Police arrested rapist in ‘hojur’ impersonation
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Light to moderate rain likely
- Paris waiter ‘shot dead over slow sandwich service’
- Woman hacked dead, husband held
- 7 killed after ferry caught fire off Indonesia
- 63 killed, 182 injured in Kabul wedding blast
- Dozens feared dead or hurt in wedding party blast in Kabul
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Karchi flood: Death toll rises to 11
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Holly Eid-ul-Azha tomorrow
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- PM visits conjoined twins Rabeya, Rukaya at CMH
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Tailback, heat forced passengers becomes ill
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- `Our prayer for abolition of evil power`
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- 8 births recorded during Hajj 2019
- Momo stares in Hindi film!