Uber dealt blow by EU court ruling that it is transport service
Published: 08:56 PM, 20 December 2017 Updated: 04:56 PM, 26 December 2017
Ride-hailing app Uber provides a transport service and can be regulated like traditional taxis, the European Union`s top court said on Wednesday in a landmark ruling that will determine the rules Uber and its rivals have to respect in Europe.
"The service provided by Uber connecting individuals with non-professional drivers is covered by services in the field of transport," the European Court of Justice (ECJ) said.
"Member states can, therefore, regulate the conditions for providing that service," it said.
Uber - which has clashed with local and national regulators in Europe since its launch there six years ago - had argued it was simply a digital app that acted as an intermediary between drivers and customers looking for a ride and so ought to fall under lighter EU rules for online services.
The case follows a complaint from a professional taxi drivers` association in Barcelona that Uber`s activities in Spain amounted to misleading practices and unfair competition from Uber`s use of non-professional drivers - a service Uber calls UberPOP.
The ECJ said Uber "exercises decisive influence over the conditions under which the drivers provide their service" and that without the Uber mobile app "persons who wish to make an urban journey would not use the services provided by those drivers."
The ruling is not likely to have an immediate impact on Uber`s operations in Europe, where it already operates under local transportation laws and has cut back its use of unlicensed services such as UberPOP.
"This ruling will not change things in most EU countries where we already operate under transportation law," an Uber spokeswoman said in a statement.
under transportation law," an Uber spokeswoman said in a statement.
"As our new CEO has said, it is appropriate to regulate services such as Uber and so we will continue the dialogue with cities across Europe. This is the approach we’ll take to ensure everyone can get a reliable ride at the tap of a button."
The Silicon Valley giant is in the middle of a legal battle over its right to operate in London, its most important European market.
- Khaleda Zia’s bail hearing today
- Greta slams `misleading` climate pledges at chaotic UN summit
- Afif seeks tips from Russell to be good power-hitter
- Six dead in hours-long New York-area shootout
- Momen leaves for India tomorrow
- Minority people are living in peace: Quader
- Three motorcycles suddenly on ablaze in front of High Court
- Avijit Roy killing: Court summons Bonya Dec 30
- BRAC, NF to build 50 learning centers for Rohingya children
- Dhaka pushes for support to deal with climate change
- Suu Kyi titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Govt works to increase trade ties with Belarus: Commerce Minister
- Myanmar people calling Suu Kyi a liar
- Premier Chess: Saif SC, Bangladesh Police maintain their lead
- Eat 2 Dates every day
- Access barred to National Memorial from Dec 12 to 15
- Cumilla starts BBPL with 105-run win
- ‘All registered parties should include ‘Joy Bangla’ slogan’
- Law enforcers will offset violence: Quader
- Kamal for low-cost net connections in Asia-Pacific region
- Bangladeshi among 5 killed in Saudi road accident
- US-Bangla Airlines with `Evelly Celluloid 71`
- 2 women detained with weed
- Mushy vows to keep up his good form in BBPL
- DNCC gets waste management system in 18 wards
- UGC orders all public universities to shut evening courses
- Internet blackout in Assam after Tripura
- Keraniganj factory fire under control, 1 dies
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Suu Kyi
- 10 killed in Somalia hotel attack
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- Storm over new black hole issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Grand opening ceremony of BPL today
- Indian rape victim dies after being set ablaze
- Three of a family found dead in Barishal