US football coach suspended after team scores too much
Published: 12:29 PM, 3 November 2019
A Long Island football coach has been reprimanded after his team thrashed another high school 61-13 in a game.
Rob Shaver, head coach of Plainedge High School, was suspended for one game after violating the local county "lopsided scores policy".
Under the rule, coaches have to explain their winning margin to a committee if it exceeds more than 42 points. The policy has been in place for three years and is intended to prevent poor sportsmanship.
Shaver is reportedly the first to be punished under the unusual rule.
The head coach of the team who lost by 48 points told Newsday he had "no issue with how the game went" on 25 October.
"I had spoken to coach Shaver, I told him I had no issues," South Side coach Phil Onesto said.
But the victory led to Shaver being called before Nassau County's "lopsided score committee" who were apparently left unsatisfied with his failure to substitute his first-team players despite holding a comfortable lead.
In an interview with the Newsday newspaper, Shaver denied that he "ran up the score" on purpose.
"The spirit of the rule is to prevent better teams from running up on lesser programs and sportsmanship and dignity and all that stuff. I get it. That didn't happen," he said.
The one-game ban means he will miss his team's final regular-season game on Saturday.
The local superintendent for Plainedge High School's district has spoken out in the coach's defence and labelled the punishment "unjustified".
"Who said they are experts on sportsmanship?" he asked in a public letter. "Who appointed these people to run this kangaroo court, being the judge, jury and executioners?"
But the county's commissioner of high school football defended the policy to the New York Times newspaper.
Matt McLees said it was developed to stop "excessive scores", which the committee felt "took away from the experience of young men playing football".
He also said the unusual rule seems to work - with a sharp decrease in excessively lopsided scores recorded there since it came into force. - BBC
- RAB detained 3 drug dealers
- Man gets death penalty for killing wife
- 30 arrested in anti-narcotic drive
- Mobile court fined 4 institutions in Gurudaspur
- 43 Students received ‘Quran’ as gift
- 1000 Kg cocaine found floating in the sea
- Pooran banned for ball tampering
- Protest continue at JU demanding VC’s removal
- Israeli strikes kills 12 in Gaza
- No pressure to win keeps Tigers motivated
- Man held with 8 gold bars in Benapole
- Better logistics can help Bangladesh boost exports: WB
- PKSF ‘Development Fair’ begins tomorrow
- ‘Abrar murder trial will be in speedy trial’
- Shamim took responsibility of child Mahima
- Selim Pradhan placed on 7-day fresh remand
- Madhubala’s biopic to be screened
- Launch trapped in Char with 500 passengers rescued
- Man held with 13,420 yaba in Chattogram
- India’s SC disqualifies 17 revel MLAs
- Night temperature likely to fall
- PM opens seven more power plants
- 48 industrialists to get CIP cards
- Bolivian senator declares herself president
- 16 killed as car ditched in Kashmir
- UD filed over B’baria train crash
- New schedule for Tigers’ Pink-Ball Test
- Abrar murder: Chargesheet submitted against 25
- Woods to play upgraded Genesis Invitational
- Suicide bombing in Indonesia: 1 killed
- All News »
- Great danger signal 10 for Mongla, Payra ports
- Dhaka Int’l Folk Fest 19 registration begins
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ heads towards Bangladesh
- Tahsan’s realize after 7yrs
- Cyclone Bulbul: sea ports asked to hoist signal 7
- Monday’s JSC, JDC exams postponed
- “Bulbul" likely to cross Khulna this evening
- `Bulbul` crossing over Khulna coastal area
- Gunmen attack Thailand security post, kills 15
- Bulbul weakens gradually
- 345 shelter centers open at Noakhali
- Ram Mandir to be built in Babri Masjid’s land: Indian SC
- Ansar deployed in Bhola amid `Bulbul` scary
- Bulbul likely to cross Bangladesh Sunday morning
- Navy Contingents with 10 warships ready to deal with ‘Bulbul’
- Govt prepared to face ‘Bulbul’: Enamur
- Two dead, 150 homes lost in Australia bushfires
- Tomorrow’s JSC, JDC exams rescheduled
- Tureen Afroz removed from ICT
- Flight operations suspended at 4 airports
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’: 10 injured after 7 houses collapsed in Bhola
- MP Moinuddin Khan Badal passes away
- Rohingyas threat to national, regional security: PM
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ left behind Bubuli in Bagerhat
- Bulbul hits Kolkata, Kills 1
- China imposes `Gaming Curfew` for minors
- Fatal train collision in B’baria kills 15
- Losing voice was ‘darkest moment’ of my life: Shakira
- 9 districts that will come under signal 10
- Tigers face India in 2nd T20I today