US dropped record number of bombs in Afghanistan
Published: 12:26 PM, 29 January 2020
The United States have dropped a record number of bombs in Afghanistan last year more than at any other time in at least 10 years.
According to the US Air Forces Central Command (AFCENT)'s report released on Monday, the US forces have dropped 7,423 bombs on targets in Afghanistan in 2019, marking a rise from the 7,362 munitions released in 2018.
Earlier in 2009, 4,147 bombs were dropped under former President Barack Obama, which was highest in that decade.
The US has now ramped up air bombings since President Donald Trump was elected in 2016 as Washington removed a requirement that said the targets should be "proximate" to US or Afghan forces in order to prevent civilian casualties.
The United Nations and rights groups have repeatedly expressed concerns over the increase in air raids across the country by US and Afghan forces that have resulted in a dramatic rise in civilian casualties.
On Sunday, at least seven civilians, including three children were killed in government air raids in Afghanistan's northern Balkh province that triggered protests from residents.
Earlier this month, more than 60 civilians were killed or wounded in a US drone attack targeting a top Taliban splinter-group commander in the western Afghanistan province of Herat.
- Police involved in Delhi mosque blaze incident
- Handover book to children, not smartphone: Information Minister
- 15 families confined over fence
- China to send 100,000 ducks to battle Pakistan’s locust plague
- 12 Jamaat-e-Islami activists sent to Jail
- Airport underpass being launched on Bangabandhu’s birthday
- 2 detained with 66kg weed in Natore
- Drug smuggler caught at airport with yaba in stomach
- Perera, Pradeep back in Sri Lanka T20 squad
- College girl on deathbed in torture of ‘Jiner Badshah’
- Youth arrested with 10,000 pc. of yaba
- Drug dealer detained with yaba in Pirojpur
- All from Cox’s Bazar Land Acquisition Branch immediately transferred
- Quota system reformed in Class-XI admission
- 11kg silver seized at Satkhira border
- ‘Shukno Golap’ of Nahid released
- BD in top among hilsa enriched countries
- BD women’s T20 WC ends with two straight defeats
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Germany suspends cooperation with Myanmar until Rohingya repatriation
- Don’t work without appointment letter: Hasan Mahmud urges journalists
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Ways to remove dirk circle under eyes in 10 minutes!
- Bangladesh under pressure losing openers
- 4 brick kilns demolished, fined Tk 14 lakh
- Khaleda’s bail plea rejected
- Garbage stack removed from Habiganj hospital gate
- Mamata Banerjee’s poem amid Delhi violence
- Italy expats urged to stay uppermost alert
- Acid thrown to make Muslims eyeless in Delhi
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test