US calls China's tariffs on American autos 'egregious’
Published: 10:58 AM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 10:58 AM, 29 November 2018
Three days before a U.S.-China summit, the top U.S. trade official is blasting Beijing for imposing ‘egregious’ taxes on American-made cars.
In a statement Wednesday, U.S. Trade Rep. Robert Lighthizer complained that China slaps 40 percent tariffs on U.S. auto imports - more than the 15 percent tariffs it imposes on other countries and the 27.5 percent U.S. tax on Chinese auto imports.
Lighthizer said the president had directed him to “examine all available tools to equalize the tariffs applied to automobiles.”
The statement comes before a dinner meeting Saturday in Buenos Aires, Argentina, between President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping. The two leaders are expected to seek a resolution to a trade dispute between their countries that has shaken financial markets and threatened the global economy.
The United States has imposed import taxes on $250 billion worth of Chinese products and China has countered by targeting $110 billion in U.S. imports. They are locked in a dispute over what Washington calls China's predatory tactics to challenge American technology dominance.
These include, the U.S. alleges, hacking into U.S. firms' computer networks to steal trade secrets and demanding that American and other foreign companies hand over technology in exchange for access to the Chinese market.
Separately, Trump hinted Wednesday that he's looking into imposing tariffs on auto imports, a day after threatening to slash federal subsidies to General Motors. The president is angry over the announcement Monday that GM plans to close plants and eliminate 14,000 jobs in North America.
Higher auto tariffs on China would have a limited impact. The Chinese last year shipped just $884 million worth of cars and light trucks to the United States - less than 1 percent of total auto imports. GM makes the Buick Envision in China, but so far this year has shipped fewer than 25,000 of the SUVs to the United States.
- Gold price further hiked amid upswing intl market
- Pickup claims 3 worker lives
- Renu lynching: Prime accused arrested
- Chelsea beat Barcelona in Japan friendly
- Hajj Health Tips
- DU students protest continues for 3rd Day
- Airbus’ new concept: ‘Bird of prey’ plane
- Ill race of making bridges
- S Korea’s warning shot at Russ army jet
- Malinga set to retire after 1st Bangladesh ODI
- Mithun, Mushfiqur star as Bangladesh win warm-up
- Quader orders to repair flood-hit roads before Eid
- Blackout forced 4m Venezuelan to leave country
- Renu`s brother heartbreaking status
- Boris Johnson to be next UK PM
- Chairmanship odds in JP: Rowshan`s ambiguous state
- Bribery scam: Ex-ACC Director Basir sent to jail
- New research unveils real cause of heart attack
- Four killed in Narayanganj’s 4 Upazilas
- ‘Stern action if killing people over child lifting rumor’
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Sergeant Kibria’s father files writ seeking compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- Habits that extremely harmful for liver
- Rain likely to increase, temperature may fall
- Advance train tickets to be sold at 5 spots
- Fire breaks out at CMCH Psychiatry department
- 25 schoolgirls fall sick from laughing too much
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- How to get HSC result
- Minni sent to jail
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- BHBCUC suspends Priya Saha
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Humanity for animal !