US and Nato start to formally withdraw troops from Afghanistan...

Dhaka, Sunday   20 June 2021

US and Nato start to formally withdraw troops from Afghanistan

 International Desk daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 09:18 PM, 1 May 2021  

US and Nato start to formally withdraw troops from Afghanistan

US and Nato start to formally withdraw troops from Afghanistan

The US has started formally withdrawing troops from Afghanistan, beginning the end of what President Joe Biden called "the forever war".

The US and Nato have had a presence in Afghanistan for almost 20 years.

But the withdrawal, which runs until 11 September, comes amid escalating violence, with Afghan security forces on high alert for reprisal attacks.

The Taliban have warned they are no longer bound by an agreement not to target international troops.

Under a deal signed last year between the militants and then-President Donald Trump, foreign forces were to have left by 1 May while the Taliban held off attacking international troops.

Officials told Reuters during this time the Taliban has been protecting western military bases from rival Islamist groups. That has not stopped Taliban attacks on Afghan forces and civilians.

But US President Joe Biden last month some troops would stay on until 11 September this year, the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, citing the security situation.

A Taliban spokesman said "this violation in principle has opened the way for [Taliban fighters] to take every counter-action it deems appropriate against the occupying forces."

But he also said Taliban fighters would await instructions from leaders before mounting attacks. Some analysts suggested with a US deadline for withdrawal in place large-scale attacks could be averted.

Meanwhile the US faces the logistical challenge of packing up and leaving. The AP report the military has been taking inventory, deciding what will be shipped back and what will be sold as junk on Afghanistan's markets.

DailyBangladesh/SA