US, South Korea to end key joint military exercises
Published: 02:34 PM, 3 March 2019
The US and South Korea said Sunday they will end their annual large-scale joint military exercises as Washington pursues efforts to improve ties with North Korea.
The decision comes days after the conclusion of US President Donald Trump’s second summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi, which ended without a formal agreement but with both sides suggesting they would keep talking.
Trump has ruled out withdrawing any of the 28,500 US forces based in South Korea to defend it from its nuclear-armed neighbor, which invaded in 1950.
Any such drawdown would face strong pushback from the US Congress and Japan, whose conservative government is deeply wary of North Korea’s intentions.
But the US president has complained repeatedly over the cost of the military drills, which Pyongyang has always condemned as provocative rehearsals for invasion.
During a Saturday phone call between South Korean Defence Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo and his US counterpart Patrick Shanahan, “both sides decided to conclude the Key Resolve and Foal Eagle series of exercises,” according to a Pentagon statement.
Foal Eagle is the biggest of the regular joint exercises held by the allies, and has always infuriated Pyongyang.
In the past, it has involved 200,000 South Korean forces and some 30,000 US soldiers.
It is accompanied by Key Resolve, a computer-simulated war game conducted by military commanders which usually begins in March and runs for about 10 days.
The two allies will instead carry out “adjusted outside maneuver trainings and united command exercises to continue firm military readiness”, Seoul’s defence ministry said Sunday.
The decision was reached to support ongoing diplomatic efforts for North Korea’s denuclearization and ease military tensions with the North, it added.
Opponents of scrapping the drills have warned that it could impact the combat readiness of the combined US and South Korean forces and hand the North a strategic advantage on the divided peninsula, but most analysts said such concerns were exaggerated.
“Suspending or downgrading the US-South Korean drills may hurt the readiness of the two militaries, but I don’t think it’s going to be a serious security threat to South Korea,” Ahn Chan-il, the president of the World Institute for North Korea Studies in Seoul, told AFP.
“The South’s conventional forces outclass the North’s, and given the current situation (with the US and the existing sanctions), it’s highly unlikely that Pyongyang will do anything with its nuclear weapons in the foreseeable future,” he added.
Washington has sought to end long-running tensions on the peninsula and encourage North Korea to scrap its nuclear program.
Since Trump’s first summit with Kim last year in Singapore, in which both leaders signed a vaguely-worded commitment to denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, the US and Seoul have scaled back or scrapped several joint military drills, and US bombers are no longer flying over South Korea.
“Not downgrading or suspending the drills at this point… would mean the involved countries are not serious” about reaching a denuclearization accord, said University of North Korean Studies professor Yang Moo-jin.
- President urges BGB to stay alert at borders
- Hearing with using video conference at Information Commission
- Motorcyclist killed in Jhalakati road crash
- DU says not to uniform entry test
- Case against 9 brick kilns of Gaibandha
- Bangladesh restrict India to 142
- Coronavirus: 7 died, 763 infected in South Korea
- Mushfiqur tops Tamim to become leading run-scorer
- Over 80,000 police personnel appointed
- Zimbabwe reeling after Mushfiqur`s 203*
- Bangladesh to field against India
- Bangladesh declare after Mushfiqur`s double ton
- 55 pc work of Elevated Expressway completed
- One to die, 11 get life term for murder in Kushtia
- Dhaka-Sylhet 6-lane work begins in July
- Probe report in BB reserve heist case on March 29
- 9 shops gutted in Chattogram fire
- 16 Turkish fighters killed in Libya
- Donald Trump arrives in India on 2-day visit
- Date of Shab-e-Meraj to be known today
- Mominul departs for 132, Tigers crossed 400
- Sri Lanka opt to bat
- Mahathir Mohamad resigns
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Rain likely at many places
- 3 ACME employees killed in Naogaon road crash
- Bubly will not make any mistakes like Apu: Shakib
- Neymar gets red card in PSG comeback win
- 2 yrs of losing Sridevi, Janhvi remembering mother with best picture
- GP to pay Tk 1,000cr within three months
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Good news to honey farmers
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs