UN rights chief Bachelet warns of threat from `gross inequality`
Published: 07:24 PM, 6 March 2019
The UN human rights chief has warned of the threat posed by growing global inequality over income, wealth and access to resources and justice.
"In recent months we have seen people across the world take to the streets to protest," said Michelle Bachelet.
Addressing the UN Human Rights Council, Ms Bachelet referred specifically to a recent wave of protests in Sudan, as well as protests in Haiti and France.
She also warned of the "existential threat" of hate speech and xenophobia.
Ms Bachelet expressed concern that the demands of citizens protesting against inequality were being met by "violent and excessive use of force, arbitrary detentions, torture and even alleged summary or extrajudicial killings".
"In Sudan, for the past several months, people protesting harsh economic conditions and bad governance have been violently dispersed by security forces, sometimes using live ammunition," she said.
Ms Bachelet singled out Venezuela as an example of how "violations of civil and political rights" can accentuate inequality and worsening economic conditions.
She also criticised Israel over its blockade of Gaza, and said she regretted Israel's "immediate dismissal" of a report by a UN Human Rights Council commission of inquiry, "without addressing any of the very serious issues raised".
UN experts said last week that Israeli security forces might have committed war crimes and crimes against humanity while responding to weekly mass Palestinian protests along the Gaza-Israel border last year.
The experts investigated the deaths of 189 Palestinians and said they found reasonable grounds to believe that Israeli snipers had shot at children, medics and journalists, even though they had been clearly recognisable as such.
"All parties concerned should exercise restraint as the date of March 30 approaches," Ms Bachelet said, referring to the first anniversary of the start of the Palestinian protest campaign.
The Israeli government said the report was "hostile, mendacious and biased against Israel". It has said its security forces have only opened fire in self-defence or on people trying to infiltrate its territory under the cover of the protests.
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- No students passed in 41 colleges
- US bans Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
- Death toll climbs to 5 after quake in eastern Indonesia
- Quader’s follow-up checkup after surgery completed
- This years’ results good, acceptable: PM
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Worker died as fell down from Rooppur Project’s const building
- How to get HSC result
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Technical Board attains 82.62pc pass rate
- Madrasah Board attains 88.56pc pass rate
- 47,286 gets GPA-5
- Pass rate 73.93 pc
- HSC results handed over to PM
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ today
- 2 drug traders killed in gunfight with BGB
- HSC exam results today
- Rowshan thanks countrymen for showing respect to Ershad
- Man gets life term for raping teenager in Kurigram
- 10 dead, many trapped in Mumbai building collapse
- Why Patience is a Virtue?
- Mobile healthcare for flood victims
- Why railway crossing ‘death trap’?
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- DU admission test in new method
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat