ULAB student rape, death: Probe report Mar 4...

Dhaka, Friday   26 February 2021

ULAB student rape, death: Probe report Mar 4

 Staff Correspondent daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 12:53 PM, 15 February 2021   Updated: 04:05 PM, 15 February 2021

File Photo

File Photo

The court today has fixed March 4 for the submission of the investigation report in the case of rape and murder of a student of a private university ULAB in the capital.

Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Nevana Khair Jessie’s court fixed the new date on Monday. 

The investigation report of the case was scheduled to be submitted on the day, however, the investigating officer of the case, Mohammadpur police SI Md. Sajedul Haque, could not submit the report. As a result, the court fixed the new date.

Meanwhile, the court sent the accused Shafayat Jamil to jail after a one-day remand on February 12. 

Earlier on February 4, Shafayat Jamil surrendered before the court of Magistrate Nevana Khair Jessie and appealed for bail. The judge then dismissed his bail petition and sent him to jail. 

Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Satyabrata Sikder’s court, on February 5, granted a five-day remand to the deceased student’s friend Farzana Zaman Neha in the case. The court then ordered to send her to jail on Wednesday.

Prime accused Mortuja Raihan Chowdhury made a confessional statement under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code on February 5. Magistrate Satyabrata Sikder recorded his statement and sent him to jail. 

The court ordered to send another accused Nuhat Alam Tafsir to jail after the remand on February 5. Earlier on January 31, the court granted a five-day remand to Mortuja Raihan and Tafsir in the case.

According to the case documents, Mortuja on January 28 took the victim to Bamboo Shot Restaurant in Uttara Sector-3, where Neha and their other friends were present and they consumed excessive alcohol.

At one stage, the victim fell sick and Mortuja took her to their friend’s Tasfir’s house. There Mortuja raped her. The next day, they took her to Ibn Sina Hospital and later Anwar Khan Modern Hospital, where she died two-day later.