Two more Myanmar soldiers confess to Rohingya killings...

Dhaka, Wednesday   30 September 2020

Two more Myanmar soldiers confess to Rohingya killings

 International Desk daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 04:23 PM, 12 September 2020  

Collected

Collected

Another two members of Myanmar’s military have acknowledged their involvement in the massacre of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar’s Rakhine state. New video footage has been found after those two soldiers’ statements were revealed in the international media.

The footage shows four army members, including the previous two, describing the Rohingya massacre. “Myanmar’s military officials used to say that all ethnic groups in the country were slaves,” one of them told in the confession video. 

It is learned that two new army members will also testify at the International Criminal Court (ICC). They are Chao Mio Aung and Par Tao Ni. Earlier, Myo Win Tun and Zaw Naing Tun confessed.

They came to the highlight last week with much shocking information while giving confessional statements of genocide conducted by the Myanmar army. They gave details of the brutal torture and killing of Rohingyas.

Read more: Myanmar soldiers confess to murdering Rohingyas

Now, two other soldiers served in Rakhine, Chao Mio Aung and Par Tao Ni, have opened their mouths against their country’s army. They confessed in the video together with Zaw Naing and Myo Win.

“The army has carried out horrific oppression on the Rohingya people. There is racial discrimination among the forces. Many officers are drug-addicted. They also have drug patronage,” said Chao Mio Aung in the confessional video.

Par Tao Ni says they (army officers) told us that everyone from different ethnic groups was a “slave”, so they have to be treated like that. “The army has used weapons like terrorist forces to torture civilians,” he added.

According to media reports, two of the four soldiers are in the custody of the Hague Criminal Court. The other two will also testify in court. These soldiers can be important witnesses against the genocide, according to human rights activists.

“This is the first time we’ve heard of genocide from someone in their military. It is clear from their words that the Myanmar army launched the operation with the aim of eradicating the Rohingya. This is very important in the judicial process,” said Matthew Smith, CEO of Fortify Rights.

Read more: Myanmar trying to avoid ‘liability’ for Rohingya genocide

The Arakan Army, a separatist group in Rakhine, recorded the confessional video of the four Myanmar army members.

The former soldiers’ confession has put new pressure on Myanmar in the international arena, especially, the position of the country’s State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi has been further questioned.

Because, in the case filed by the Gambia in the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the apex court of the United Nations, she appeared in person and spoke on behalf of her country, denying all the allegations of “Rohingya genocide”. For this reason, many have called for a trial against Myanmar by taking into account the first confession of the Rohingya genocide.

DailyBangladesh/AS