Published: 02:03 AM, 1 January 2019 Updated: 02:06 AM, 1 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
In 11th Parliamentary polls common peoples’ joyful participation created a new history in Bangladesh’s democracy. It has recorded of hundred percent vote casting in many polling centers.
A polling center in Dhunat upazila in Bogura-5 constituency was one of the centers to record a 100 percent voter turnout, which is generally considered to be a rarity.
None of the voters, from the young to the aged, missed the opportunity to cast their vote in Sunday's election in the center at Chikashi High School.
Of the total 2,310 votes, Awami League-led grand alliance candidate Habibur Rahman bagged 2,072 while BNP candidate Golam Mohammed Siraj and the two remaining candidates got 108 and one vote each respectively.
A total of 128 votes were cancelled, according to the center-wise result sheet.
Ganeshpur Government Primary School center in Shibganj upazila of Bogura-2 constituency is another example where all 2,290 votes were cast.
Jatiya Party candidate Shariful Islam got 1,136 votes. His main contender Mahmudur Rahman Manna, a candidate of Jatiya Oikyafront secured only 905. A total of 214 votes were cancelled in this polling center.
Shyampur Government Primary School in upazila of Bogura-1 also saw a hundred percent voter turnout. All 2,383 votes were cast and AL candidate Abdul Manna alone got 2,185 votes. BNP candidate Kazi Rafiqul Islam got 79 votes, shows center-wise result sheet.
However, at the center at Uttar Bhitabariya Government Primary School, a polling station in Pirojpur-2, a different sort of voter turnout story unfolded.
The center stood out among all others as being the only one where all the voters cast for their votes for only one candidate, that’s AL nominated Anwar Hossain Manju.
In this center, 1,155 voters cast their ballot for Manju, which left his main challenger BNP-led alliance candidate Muhammad Mustafizur Rahman Iran with no vote. The remaining three candidates also could not manage a single vote.
A total of 1,164 votes were cast in this polling center at Uttar Bhitabariya area in Bhandaria upazila. Of the total, nine votes were rejected.
In Telikhali union of the upazila, there were eight polling centers where a total of 14,406 out of 15,765 voters cast their votes.
Interestingly, only one person voted for the BNP candidate.
In this constituency, Anwar Hossain Manju, now a minister, got 1,79,498 votes while Mustafizur Rahman Iran, chairman of the Labour Party, secured only 6,310 votes.
In the 2008 parliamentary polls, the AL candidate got over 1.28 lakh votes and his opponent BNP candidate obtained 59,428 votes.
A similar picture was also seen in Natore-3 constituency.
BNP candidate Daudar Mahmud did not get a single vote in eight polling stations. He got less than 10 votes in 22 out of 118 centers.
The results of Sunday's polls show that AL candidate Zunaid Ahmed Palak, also a state minister, bagged 2.30 lakh votes while Daudar got 8,841 votes.
In the 2008 polls, Palak got 1.27 lakh votes and BNP candidate Kazi Golam Morshed managed 78,043 votes.
In Rajshahi-4 constituency, BNP candidate Abu Hena, who twice became the lawmaker, got no vote in Sunday's polls in two centers in Bagmara upazila.
One of the centers is Jamgram Government Primary School which witnessed 94.58 percent of the votes cast.
Among the 1,816 valid votes, AL candidate Enamul Haque obtained 1,813 votes while Abu Hena did not get any vote. Two other candidates gathered the remaining three votes.
Hena did not secure any vote in Boilshingha School and College vote centre.
Of the 2,101 votes, AL candidate Enamul Haque got 2,080 votes.
Abu Hena got less than 10 votes at ten centers in the constituency.
When asked why BNP and its alliance got only few votes in some constituencies, Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda said it was a reflection of people exercising their franchise.
"They got as many votes as the people who voted for them,” he said.
- Temperature may rise slightly
- Jordan Peele scares, and scores, again with new film ‘Us’
- BCL leader`s hanging body found in Madaripur
- 6-story building tilts in Balughat
- PM hands over Independence Award
- NZ PM orders inquiry into Christchurch massacre
- Trump `did not conspire with Russia`: Mueller report
- Country to remain one-minute silent today
- Rajasthan Royals to face Kings XI Punjab tonight
- PM hands over Independence Award today
- Nation observing Genocide Day
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Nigeria make history after sealing U-19 WC spot
- Thai junta party takes lead in general polls
- Rumana receives ICC T20 team of the year cap
- Security beefed at diplomatic zone
- PM opens combined military hardware display 2019
- Japanese SEZ on 1,000 acres of land in Narayanganj
- Price fall in large-cap drives stocks down
- No exams upto class-III from this year
- Teachers-employees call off movement
- Shakib starts IPL campaign with defeat
- Jupiter`s unknown journey revealed
- 82,500 students get primary scholarships
- Shahnaz Rahmatullah laid to rest
- Shakib rings historic bell at Eden Gardens
- UN asked to declare March 25 carnage as genocide
- Voting ends, counting underway
- Only Bamboo Bridge for 16 villages
- Hasnain debuts as Pakistan bat in 2nd ODI against Australia
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- 2nd phase of polls in 116 UZs underway
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery underway
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies