Published: 02:03 AM, 1 January 2019 Updated: 02:06 AM, 1 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
In 11th Parliamentary polls common peoples’ joyful participation created a new history in Bangladesh’s democracy. It has recorded of hundred percent vote casting in many polling centers.
A polling center in Dhunat upazila in Bogura-5 constituency was one of the centers to record a 100 percent voter turnout, which is generally considered to be a rarity.
None of the voters, from the young to the aged, missed the opportunity to cast their vote in Sunday's election in the center at Chikashi High School.
Of the total 2,310 votes, Awami League-led grand alliance candidate Habibur Rahman bagged 2,072 while BNP candidate Golam Mohammed Siraj and the two remaining candidates got 108 and one vote each respectively.
A total of 128 votes were cancelled, according to the center-wise result sheet.
Ganeshpur Government Primary School center in Shibganj upazila of Bogura-2 constituency is another example where all 2,290 votes were cast.
Jatiya Party candidate Shariful Islam got 1,136 votes. His main contender Mahmudur Rahman Manna, a candidate of Jatiya Oikyafront secured only 905. A total of 214 votes were cancelled in this polling center.
Shyampur Government Primary School in upazila of Bogura-1 also saw a hundred percent voter turnout. All 2,383 votes were cast and AL candidate Abdul Manna alone got 2,185 votes. BNP candidate Kazi Rafiqul Islam got 79 votes, shows center-wise result sheet.
However, at the center at Uttar Bhitabariya Government Primary School, a polling station in Pirojpur-2, a different sort of voter turnout story unfolded.
The center stood out among all others as being the only one where all the voters cast for their votes for only one candidate, that’s AL nominated Anwar Hossain Manju.
In this center, 1,155 voters cast their ballot for Manju, which left his main challenger BNP-led alliance candidate Muhammad Mustafizur Rahman Iran with no vote. The remaining three candidates also could not manage a single vote.
A total of 1,164 votes were cast in this polling center at Uttar Bhitabariya area in Bhandaria upazila. Of the total, nine votes were rejected.
In Telikhali union of the upazila, there were eight polling centers where a total of 14,406 out of 15,765 voters cast their votes.
Interestingly, only one person voted for the BNP candidate.
In this constituency, Anwar Hossain Manju, now a minister, got 1,79,498 votes while Mustafizur Rahman Iran, chairman of the Labour Party, secured only 6,310 votes.
In the 2008 parliamentary polls, the AL candidate got over 1.28 lakh votes and his opponent BNP candidate obtained 59,428 votes.
A similar picture was also seen in Natore-3 constituency.
BNP candidate Daudar Mahmud did not get a single vote in eight polling stations. He got less than 10 votes in 22 out of 118 centers.
The results of Sunday's polls show that AL candidate Zunaid Ahmed Palak, also a state minister, bagged 2.30 lakh votes while Daudar got 8,841 votes.
In the 2008 polls, Palak got 1.27 lakh votes and BNP candidate Kazi Golam Morshed managed 78,043 votes.
In Rajshahi-4 constituency, BNP candidate Abu Hena, who twice became the lawmaker, got no vote in Sunday's polls in two centers in Bagmara upazila.
One of the centers is Jamgram Government Primary School which witnessed 94.58 percent of the votes cast.
Among the 1,816 valid votes, AL candidate Enamul Haque obtained 1,813 votes while Abu Hena did not get any vote. Two other candidates gathered the remaining three votes.
Hena did not secure any vote in Boilshingha School and College vote centre.
Of the 2,101 votes, AL candidate Enamul Haque got 2,080 votes.
Abu Hena got less than 10 votes at ten centers in the constituency.
When asked why BNP and its alliance got only few votes in some constituencies, Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda said it was a reflection of people exercising their franchise.
"They got as many votes as the people who voted for them,” he said.
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Priya`s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Tamim to lead Tigers in SL tour
- PM reaches London
- Mashrafe rule out of Sri Lanka tour
- Jamuna devours over 300 houses
- Municipal services halted in Mathbaria, extreme sufferings
- Kid drowns in Gabindaganj floodwater
- AL to hold joint meeting Saturday
- Minni sent to jail
- PM to join envoys’ conference in London tomorrow
- Tendulkar inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- ‘All must come forward to destroy Aedes mosquitoes origin’
- `Study in India` fair starts in Dhaka
- Cricket is not a sport: Russia
- ICC introduces new rule on substitute player
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- Magnitude 5.5 quake jolts Bangladesh
- Humayun Ahmed alive through his speeches
- 13 human traffickers held in capital, Keraniganj
- Lilith’s trailer released
- Death toll hits 33 in Japan studio arson attack
- US sanctions on Myanmar not enough: UN
- Dengue check: DNCC skips holiday-leaves for two departs
- Truck overturned: Mother-son killed in Rohingya camp
- Rishan Farzi on five-day remand
- Expiry date, price must clear on drug: HC
- FaceApp occupies 15 crore subscribers’ gallery!
- Humanity for animal !
- Bangladeshis among 285 immigrants detained on Iran boarder
- All News »
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HM Ershad passes away
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Stay alert to tackle flood: PM
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
- How to get HSC result
- 3 more bodies recovered from Cox’s Bazar beach