Tulip Siddiq reelected in UK general election
Published: 03:20 PM, 13 December 2019 Updated: 03:23 PM, 13 December 2019
Tulip Siddiq, granddaughter of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s niece; Photo: Collected
Tulip Siddiq, granddaughter of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s niece, was re-elected for the third time in the UK general election-2019 as a candidate of Labour Party with a huge margin.
Besides, another three Bangladesh-origin candidates Rushanara Ali were also re-elected for the fourth time, Rupa Huq for the third time, and Apsana Begum was elected for the first time in the UK elections from their respective constituencies.
The international media said this on Friday. Boris Johnson’s Conservative Party has won a solid majority of seats in Britain’s Parliament.
Tulip, Sheikh Rehana’s daughter, retained her Hampstead and Kilburn seat on Friday with a margin of 14,188 votes, bagging 28,080 votes against her Conservative rival Johnny Luk.
Besides, Labour party candidate Rupa Huq bagged the majority from Ealing Central and Acton seat. She gained a very convincing 51.3 percent of the votes where her opposition Conservative Julian Gallan came second with 14,832 votes.
Another Bangladesh-origin Labour party candidate Rushanara Ali bagged 44,052 votes and defeated Shahrar Ali form Green Party in a huge margin where he got only 2570 votes in Bethnal Green and Bow seat.
Labour party candidate Apsana Begum was got 33660 and elected for the first time by defeating her opposition Andrew Cregan from Poplar and Limehouse seat.
After winning in the election, Tulip thanked voters of Hampstead and Kilburn for supporting her.
“Thank you Hampstead and Kilburn for electing me once again. Thanks to all my volunteers and my family. But devastated by our national results-sorry to lose such talented MPs. Tough times ahead, we have to work together,” she said in a tweet message.
In 2015, Tulip Siddiq has made it to the House of Commons in the UK general elections with Labour Party ticket.
- Tigers upbeat to avoid humiliating whitewash
- Satkhira pride schoolgirl committed suicide
- Meeting over China-Bangladesh travel ban Tuesday
- China stuck in Medical equipment crisis!
- Bangladesh to host Zimbabwe in Feb for full series
- No barrier to voting in EVMs: HC
- Problems need to be solved by planning: Tajul
- Iran executes ‘crocodile’
- Immune discovery may treat all cancer
- Farmer’s smile in vegetables farming
- 7 out of 8 employees absent in Upazila health office
- Coronavirus spread in 12 countries
- Assam trembled in multiple blast
- Sheikh Russel Water Treatment Plant inaugurated
- Woman set to marry plane, claims they’re dating for 6 yrs
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- China lies over coronavirus infected, it topped .9 million!
- Atiqul unveils election manifesto
- Cold wave may abate in next 24 hours
- Mask-hand sanitizer sever crisis in China
- Chinese physicians in treatment-war amid coronavirus scary
- PM opens several uplift schemes
- 31 killed in Madagascar torrential rains
- 2 Bangladeshis receive Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri awards in India
- 30 killed in Brazil floods and landslides
- Tabu gets 3 cr bucks for 15 minutes!
- Husband’s name ‘Hospital’ in voter list; wife becomes senseless
- 2 killed as truck rams auto in M’singh
- Mango buds in advance spring
- Barca beaten by Valencia in early blow for Setien
- All News »
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- E-passport to be launched today
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- Harry, Meghan to give up royal titles
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse