Trump says US targeting 52 sites in Iran
Published: 11:07 AM, 5 January 2020 Updated: 11:44 AM, 5 January 2020
President Donald Trump has warned the US is "targeting" 52 Iranian sites and will strike "very fast and very hard" if Tehran attacks Americans or US assets.
His comments followed the US assassination of Qasem Soleimani, a top Iranian general, in a drone strike. Iran has vowed to avenge his killing. - Reported BBC
Trump wrote on Twitter that Iran "is talking very boldly about targeting certain USA assets" in response to the general's death.
He said the US had identified 52 Iranian sites, some "at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD" if Tehran strikes at the US.
"The USA wants no more threats!" Trump added.
The president said the 52 targets represented the 52 Americans held hostage in Iran for more than a year from late 1979, after they were seized at the US embassy in Tehran.
Shortly after Trump's tweets, the website of a US government agency appeared to have been hacked by a group calling itself "Iran Cyber Security Group Hackers".
A message on the American Federal Depository Library Programme site read: "This is a message from the Islamic Republic of Iran.
"We will not stop supporting our friends in the region: the oppressed people of Palestine, the oppressed people of Yemen, the people and the Syrian government, the people and government of Iraq, the oppressed people of Bahrain, the true Mujahideen resistance in Lebanon and Palestine, [they] will always be supported by us."
The web page contained a doctored image of President Trump, depicting him being hit in the face and bleeding at the mouth.
"This is only small part of Iran's cyber ability!" [sic], the hackers wrote.
Trump's tweets followed a huge funeral procession for General Soleimani held in Baghdad, where he was killed on Friday. Mourners waved Iraqi and militia flags and chanted "death to America".
Several rocket attacks shook the area shortly after the procession, including one in the Green Zone near the US embassy. The Iraqi military said nobody had been hurt.
No group has yet said it was behind the development. Pro-Iranian militants have been blamed for other recent attacks.
Soleimani's body arrived back in Iran on Sunday, the country's IRIB news agency reported.
- Man, accused in 14 cases, killed in Kushtia gunfight
- Coronavirus in China gets incursive with death toll rising
- Litun Jira now wins scholarships
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- 172 students to get Prime Minister Gold Medal
- Death toll climbs to 18 in Delhi clashes
- Barcelona draw with Napoli
- ‘Coronavirus outbreak is inevitable in US’
- South Africa faces Australia today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services suspended
- 2 motorcyclists killed in Demra road crash
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 200 yrs old silver coins recovered from abandoned house
- Delhi clash: Death toll rises to 13
- Housewife committed suicide in Pirojpur
- Average life expectancy will be 80 by 2041
- Principal among 4 held for killing madrasa girl after rape
- $3 billion defense deal signed between US and India
- Deputy Health Minister of Iran contracts coronavirus
- Pranab, Bidhya Devi to address JS special session
- Realme launches ‘Made in Bangladesh’ phone
- `Maldives` experience should be utilized in tourism development`
- Pilkhana Tragedy: Nation pays homage to martyrs
- 2 pharmacies fined Tk 50,000 in Brahmanbaria
- Women dies in police custody
- Fraud smugglers detained with fake gold
- Japan to give more $ 10.7 million to aid Rohingya
- ‘No shortage in coronavirus test kits’
- Foods to take after exercise to reduce weight
- 6 Indian SC judges infected with swine flu
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- 15 new coronavirus cases in S Korea, bringing total to 46
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Coronavirus reaches Iran: report
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Mid-air plane collision in Australia kills 4
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire
- Video of principal’s dance in Hindi songs goes viral